Obama outperforms Reagan economically...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Eh. They are so far apart in time and setting. Kind of apples and oranges.

3. Unimane

I agree, for the most part. I just find this interesting considering the continuous declarations by a number of conservatives, including a decent number on this board, that we are headed for the economic abyss any day now because of Obama's policies, plus the article coming from a business oriented magazine.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Who is apples and who is oranges? I need to know which fruit to stop eating.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

A) this guy is one of Forbes liberal bloggers

B) he ignores the fact that middle class wages dramatically increased under Reagan and are down under Obama.

C) ignores the fact that the unemployment rate is calculated differently today and is artificially low.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

How, in your opinion, is B) to Reagan's credit and Obama's fault?

C) and B) is why I felt like it was apples and oranges.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I like oranges better. Let's make Reagan oranges.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Ignores much. The GDP growth under Reagan was extreme. He used debt to do it but created grounds for much modern investing. Obama used debt for...employment growth via govt jobs?

Unemployment numbers aren't comparable but the market has performed well. Reagan had to spend time bursting a bubble and then start, losing a couple years. Obama didn't and has do e squat for GDP.

I'll be surprised with the number of people who buy it.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

This is the question. Why is either receiving tremendous credit.

Reagan pushed an independence culture while Obama has pushed govt solutions. That's the glaring difference.

Private sector job creation is an interesting look.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I fully believe a major reason why there isn't ample labor demand is that corporations view the administration as anti business. I'm not going to say I have ton Fortune 500 execs as clients, but the ones I do have told me repeatably that they don't want to take the risk of hiring because of Obama

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm dumb: how is average wages and hiring linked? From competition for good labor? Because I think you yourself have made arguments concerning technology suppressing the value of employees.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Also a sense of hope and belief in the future of American under Reagan that just doesn't exist under Obama. People are expecting the next shoe to drop

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think wages have been flat for 15 years because of international competition, but I do believe Obama being seen as anti business and things like Obamacare have led to people spending money on technology and hiring part time rather than full time like they would have done otherwise. And the unemployment rate doesn't measure underemployment

14. Unimane

People are significantly more cynical now than they were in the 80s and that resulted independently of any one particular political figure (or concurrently with a myriad of politicians). I still consider Reagan a huge fraud of a president, holding his successor in much greater esteem, and the phoniness of the Reagan decade will relegate Reagan to an indifferent status in history. Although, to be fair, I don't see many presidents within my lifetime to stand out as great figures of historical prominence.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I think fdr was a communist, but I don't ignore his obvious impact

16. Unimane

He also steered us through two of our most critical time periods, while creating a dramatically different role for the presidency and government. There's no way he isn't getting pub when they discuss our republic. Reagan's role in the history books may last a paragraph or two, noting his ushering in of the conservatism of the 80s, but I am still of the opinion that he will be somewhere along the lines of a William McKinley in the coming decades. Also, in regards to hope, Reagan's administration certainly faded to a less than hopeful tune.

17. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

All bets are off in janurary when the new health care regs kick in.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

[video=youtube;YtYdjbpBk6A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYdjbpBk6A[/video]

How has his administrated faded?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

perhaps people are more cynical for a reason. the 80s saw a dramatic increase in wages for americans and employment. of course it's going to be remembered fondly compared to this shit period.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

wait a minute so Reagan created 16 million new jobs and Obama 5 million despite the labor market being 30 percent larger today and that's an outperformance? wtf? I didn't realize this idiot was solely basing this on the unemployment rate and consecutive months of jobs growth.