Obama outperforms Reagan economically...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Reallly sad that you missed my "I will never defend Barney Frank" comment just in this thread. But, hey, keep on with your hypocritical "All problems result from Democrats" stand.

Also, this isn't a stand I'm making that Carter did nothing wrong, just that it's stupid (and intellectually lazy) to blame him for some kind of convoluted domino effect throughout the rest of the Middle Eastern modern history.

By the way, if you had as much knowledge as might think you do, you probably should have noted the fact that Carter started funding the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan prior to Reagan when I criticized Reagan for doing so.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  2. Unimane

I'll only begin to realize my ignorance when I start agreeing with you.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If Carter gets all the blame for the Iranian Revolution, then he gets all the credit for stopping the perpetual wars between Egypt and Israel.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Staff meetings, answere emails, play golf, and in the end, negotiate your severence package.

The people they layoff do all of the work.

Close?

5. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

How in the world do you justify yourself, especially going back to Johnson?

6. Unimane

Because he was an utter and complete disaster that was worse than anything since Johnson, with only a couple coming even remotely close. The fact that he obliterated a groundswell of international goodwill within a short period of time that a skilled president would have used to his advantage already puts him well behind most of the presidents in that time frame.

Hell, I know that a lot of right wing news sources have tried to rehabilitate his image, but they hated his ass at the end, too.

7. OrangeEmpire

If you start with any one in your time frame, you have to start with Nixon.

No other president had the social and political that Nixon did.

8. OrangeEmpire

Why in the hell would I care what a right wing website says about Bush?

If you can't come to the conclusion Bush was a clown, there's not much hope for you.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You sure as hell have supported Dodd frank on this site.

Bush was a bad president, but ignoring how carter shit the bed repeatably is just sad. There is no question his actions directly led to the rise of Hussein. Let alone having the worst economic policies of any president since fdr

10. Unimane

That's what I'm saying, he was a clown.

11. Unimane

I have my issues with Nixon, but something like detente alone was an act that Bush could never pull off. Nixon was a highly skilled politician with a great intelligence that was undone by his paranoia.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I think your idea of work is silly. I haven't been to a company where the staff outworks the senior personnel, in any space.

13. Unimane

First of all, I don't remember saying anything about the Dodd-Frank Act, nor being that well versed on it to make a decent argument. I do know that Frank is a career politician charlatan the like of a Lindsay Graham, Charley Rangel and a million others.

Second of all, in regards to Carter, no one is ignoring anything, he wasn't even mentioned. The point was that Bush was the worst president of the modern era, which says nothing about Carter. Otherwise, the idea that his actions led "directly" to the rise of Hussein is, again, a specious argument, for many reasons. Hell, he nearly destroyed himself in the Iran-Iraq War and was never as big a threat as we made him out to be.

Middle Eastern history and politics is very complex and to reduce it down to a "It's Carter's fault for not supporting the Shah enough" shows an incredible lack of understanding of what happened there.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I haven't seen anyone post what a CEO actually does. I'm mostly joking, but I had a bad experience with FPL, like most people in the power industry in Florida

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you said worst since Johnson. your omission of carter is absurd.

who's arguing it's the only problem? it was one of the biggest ****ups in Mideast policy in American history. the fact that most americans have no idea it happened doesn't make it not true.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

interesting that you find detente some sort of coup rather than just a nothing policy of no value to anyone but the bad guys.

17. Unimane

No, it's not absurd. It just means he isn't as bad as Bush, which is not a high standard. At all. Hell, as mentioned by Jay, the fact that he pulled off the Camp David Accords alone puts him above Bush, who royally ****ed up in the Middle East.

You were most definitely arguing that Carter was the root cause for the excursions in the Middle East. In fact, Carter's biggest mistake was actually the opposite of what you're arguing in his support of the Shah when he left Iran and sought medical care in the U.S., which drew the ire of the Iranians. The Shah was going down no matter what.

18. Unimane

You could throw in China in there, if you like. Or, the fact that detente, while not a great success (or failure), ushered in an era in which something like the Cuban Missile Crisis was not to occur.

The fact that I'm defending a Republican president to you makes this thread border on the surreal.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it doesn't at all. any pure politician is garbage. Nixon was garbage when he was working for Ike and Ike knew it. I don't care about the letter. I want fiscal conservatism - period.

20. Unimane

You seem to tilt very heavily to the "R" within these discussion, but fair enough point on the last sentence. You are very consistent there, for sure.