Paralysis sufferers regain feeling thanks to fetal stem cells

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Sep 3, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Unsurprisingly, I've heard that before. I'm comfortable with my position, morally and religiously.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They don't grow into living beings? How did you and I get here?

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's amazing how many contradictions you find when you tease out the conclusions of ordinary folks' views. I suspect this is also the case with intelligent folks' views, but it takes someone much more intelligent than the intelligent folks to see how the contradictions happen. I've heard anecdotes about Gödel doing this for fun. He would.

4. JayVols

I'm not that smart. You're a philosophy guy. Are you agreeing with me or calling me a freaking idiot? Lol.

Either way, it won't hurt my self-esteem. Just want clarity.

5. Tar Volon

Sorry. People who are all aboard with IVF and oppose destroying fetuses haven't thought things through. I'm agreeing. Although we shouldn't be too hard on them, because I'm sure super-smart people could go through our beliefs and find all kinds of similar contradictions.

6. JayVols

Got it. That's the vibe I was feeling.

I'm a walking paradox as you mentioned. I've accepted that. It's just that this particular issue hits close to home for me. The wife and I have our girl's umbilical chord blood banked due to the family history. That stuff is rich in stem cells and useful in many other treatments should the need arise. I pray that it remains near zero kelvin forever and is never needed.

7. Tar Volon

I pray the same. It's always good to be able to treat something. It's better not to have to.

8. JayVols

Absolutely, and thanks.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Sarcasm.jpg

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I got here through a full term pregnancy. Don't care what can and can't be grown into, I care what is.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So what we came from...isn't?

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

As far as using fetal stem cells, abortions are not being done to provide the cells, they are available, why not use them?

My brother-in-law is a quadriplegic courtesy of the Viet Cong, and he experiences pain and burning in his legs, but has no feeling. I feel I can speak for him in that he would gladly risk feeling pain for a chance to escape his 40+ year nightmare.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

How dare he relieve his suffering by taking advantage of research on the byproduct from a legal activity.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly. It's not as if abortions are being ordered in order to provide stem cells. That seems to be a point that many in this thread are missing.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am very sorry for his suffering BTW and thank him for his service. His treatment by the civilian population was much different from today's returning service men.

16. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

A few points here...

1) I've never had a problem with stem cell research provided the cells are readily available without ordering a conception on false pretenses

2) I agree with someone earlier that said "you cannot be pro in vitro fertilization and against in vitro abortion". If your moral dilemma prevents you from accepting one then it must be the same basis for the other.

3) A new scary trend in this field is that women (mostly rich for obvious reasons) are having their eggs harvested when they are done having children for the sole purpose of providing stem cells if they need them in the future. I have an issue with this but it is something worth discussing.

carry on

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Also, not every fetus deserves to make it full term? Just certain ones?

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Noted

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree with lyls on this one, but I know if I start talking about it in depth, Hat will rip me a new one. lol

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because the story is what was cured/treated, not where the fetuses came from. Before, the argument was there was no known positive treatment so we shouldn't do it. Now, that is no longer true.

You don't KNOW that these were not simply donated for medical research, much like many other bodies are donated.

Would you refuse a knee cap replacement or organ transplant? I doubt it. So why is a fetus more sacred than a child or adult? And who are you or anyone else to legislate that perceived morality onto everyone? If you don't like it, stay paralyzed.