Percent chance we get Gruden?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yeah, in no position to. Hell, Gruden may be here 7-10 years, hopefully.

Though, I'll say, assuming Tee continues to grow and develop as a coach, he forecasts as well as anyone to be Tennessee head coach in 2028.

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Shes going to have to get over the infatuation with LA. If Tee's going to continue to coach, LA is short-term.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

I don't think that's the babymomma in question here...

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Agreed. I have to think he wants out of usc

5. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

From TOS's.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14600196&postcount=5442
    Enjoy... I'm not sure there is much more for me to find out at the moment. I'll let you know if I hear anything new, but at this point I believe we're just waiting for an announcement.

Buyout:
    • Buyout terms were agreed upon prior to the Tampa meeting.
    • Don't know the exact terms, but was told that it is "very open on both ends" allowing both sides an easy exit.
    • Gruden's agent initially wanted them to have a liquidated-damages clause of 0 and Tennessee wanted a mutual buyout. This was the eventual compromise.

Endorsements:
    • Since first contact a major source of contention has been Gruden's current and future endorsements.
    • Frankly I don't think my two sources know how this ended up turning out and they acted like it may still be an issue.
    • As best as I understand it, Gruden does not want Tennessee meddling in his endorsements, while Tennessee is adamant that he will need to drop endorsements.
    • I got the feeling money wasn't the issue, but it was more of an issue of principle with Gruden.

Additional contract info I picked up:
    • Gruden has an out-clause on his ESPN contract. No buyout.
    • Was told a contract length of 4 years by one person, other did not know.
    • 3 leased vehicles.
    • "Around 25" season tickets.
    • Bonus of 1m.
    • Not as heavily incentivized as rumors have said. Base salary is pretty close to total salary.
    • Around 9m with around 1.5m in bonuses.
    • I wasn't given exact numbers on the salary so I would take that number with a grain of salt.

Staff:
    • Most of the staff-related issues I referenced two days ago I found out centered around Tee Martin.
    • Gruden has placed a great deal of importance on Tee due to his recruiting prowess.
    • Gruden has made it clear that he does not want to be on the road recruiting every single free night, and he feels (whether right or wrong), that having Tee on staff will take a lot of that pressure off of him.
    • When Tee was contacted 2 weeks ago it appeared as if there would be little to no resistance on either side if Gruden was hired. Things became complicated late last week when Tee was contacted by Georgia Southern. Another source I talked to said he's also been contacted by UTEP, but I'm not as confident in that source.
    • Tee is currently in limbo and no one I talked to knows who a potential replacement would be.

Timing:
    • Gruden has no interest in coaching this year.
    • He will not coach vs. Vanderbilt regardless of when an announcement is made.
    • If we somehow win the next 2 games he would coach in the bowl.
    • Due to that he prefers an official announcement on 11/28, with controlled leaks beginning on 11/26.
    • As of 2 days ago the AD had pushed for an announcement on 11/21 with controlled leaks beginning on 11/20.
    • Not sure what they've agreed on to be honest.

Source Confidence that deal is done:
    • I was able to talk to 2 of my 3 sources face-to-face yesterday and they both say that the deal is done.
    • Last time I talked to my main source they seemed confident as well.
    • I have no reason to doubt them.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Neat. Don't know that I buy him coaching the bowl game. I'd love it, and might even make the trip, but that would be a rough start for him.

7. Savage Orange

Is Orange Pill legit? I notice the spoiler alert but I don't recall that I've ever heard that name before.

8. Savage Orange

I highly doubt that a bowl game will be an issue... it would be nice if it happened though.

9. Daddy Gee

Daddy Gee Chieftain

IDK how legit he is. I put in spoiler just because of the length.

10. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Seems like collected stuff I've seen all over the place + some that I haven't.

Smells legit, but who the [uck fay] knows anymore... With it coming from VN, I'm always a bit more cautious.

11. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

2nd time I’ve seen mention of a 4-year contract length, which just sounds odd.

We initially signed Butch to 6 years. He finishes his opening press conference and can’t even sell class of ‘19 recruits that he’ll be here to see them graduate.

I could see obligations minimal on an early departure, but can’t imagine they’d do a 4-year contract.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm seriously irritated if we are making him give up his existing Corona and Hooter's endorsements. He's been doing Hooter's forever. And the back-to-back tenure of Dooley and Jones is responsible for more drinking deaths and alcohol abuse than ads about drinking beer on the beach.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

True story. Several years ago I was relaxing on the beach. A lady sitting near me comes over and mentions that her husband is sick. Wants me to look at him. I advised her to take him to an urgent care facility but she was insistent so I waltz over there. He’s barely conscious in his beach chair, looking all kinds of uncomfortable. It’s around 3-ish in the afternoon and hot as hell. I ask if they’ve been out here a long time. Since this morning. Well, I’d say he’s dehydrated. Get him some water, some AC, and consider taking him to the hospital for IV fluids. “But he can’t be dehydrated!,” she exclaims, “He’s been drinking beer all day!”.

sellsman11 and IP like this.
  14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Amazing how ignorant some people are of the effects alcohol has in the heat.

15. And now Kirk Herbstreit has weighed in saying the possibility of Gruden coming here is dead and that we should go all-in on Chip Kelly.

I actually have less confidence in what the national media is saying than I do in the local media. Which is really saying something.

16. dtmvol

dtmvol Member

Yes as it relates to UT the problem is the one in Knoxville

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I can’t imagine that it was ever in question that he’d coach this year. Does that even need to be commented on by the Orange Pill?

18. Back down to 51%

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Gruden will remember those of you who lost faith.

20. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

He has a list? Be cautious how you play this.

IP and TennTradition like this.