Pet Peeves...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by wildnkrazykat, May 13, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's what i've been told, but if that's true you wonder why we don't see more deaths or how many kids really have that severe of a reaction. my friend whose kid has a reaction like that they only found out because they did a test and god knows how realiable those are. she's absolutely insane about it too. i understand her concern, but everywhere they go she insists on meeting the manager of wherever they are (when they went to a baseball game she took disinfectant to the seats and asked the people around her to not eat peanuts). it's like this allergy is the kids whole identity. kids that age don't want that level of pity and negative attention. it's just sad. i get being terrified about it if you are a parent, but spending your whole life terrified and being singled out as different has to be a horrible way to live.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Stranger Danger. I know people that never let their kids out of their yards or out of the house for fear of their safety.

I make it a point to make my kids walk to school in the morning, and they are 7 and 9.

3. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i work with a crna that took their kid to get screened for allergies after a having a reaction to God only knows what. 20 mins after they left the docs office the doc personally called him and said "go to the nearest pharmacy and text me their #," so he could call in a script for an epi pen. turns out her titers where off the chart for "all nuts that grow above ground" and he said she didin't need to go anywhere, ever, without an epi pen in tow.

when he informed the school of her allergy they(school administrators) said they would see how long it would take the schools to become "nut free." he responded by telling them not to bother. he told them that she had to learn to be vigilant herself and not rely on others to take care of her. when the school continued to insist on the matter, he asked the principal if he was gonna follow her to college too.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  4. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

this is exactly what i was refering too earlier about munchausen by proxy tendancies. when a parent's actions cause a kid to become identified as a disease/disorder/diagnosis first and a person second.

there's blurry line between vigilant guardian and crazy person who thinks good parenting is being a control freak.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I can't stand to let someone borrow something and they don't send it back the way I sent it.

With me, when I borrow something I send it back full tank and cleaned.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm the same way. I'm extremely reluctant to borrow anything i could potentially damage too. good reason to not own a truck. too many people wanting you to help them mover or borrow it.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I have a truck. A 16ft trailer and an enclosed trailer. When people move, I'm usually the first they call.

8. NorrisAlan

Hey, NYY! Buddy! Ole Pal! Friend in need, friend indeed!

9. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

Hey buddy....I need a lil help

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Making a mental note to have your number handy in six months or so when I start looking at houses.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does anyone ever ask why you keep shackles and ball gags in your enclosed trailer?

12. NorrisAlan

Only once.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I think NYY and I have an agreement regarding use of his trailer.

14. wildnkrazykat

Handcuffs n such, huh?

15. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Now Kat, you know a gentleman never discusses sordid details.

16. wildnkrazykat

So sorry.

17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Someone using the phrase "presser"

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You have the number. And I'll gladly help.

*******s for reimbursement are not mandatory but are welcome.

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Not anymore after the last thing you parked in there. It wobbled for over a week.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Don't ask don't tell.