Peyton Manning explains what "Omaha" check means

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's not what NYY said.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The guy is funny as hell.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Aaron Rodgers' "Discount Daaable-Check" commercials are funnier.

-droski

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And I'm over the obsession with Omaha.

It's not a play. Anyone that watches any of the games, or knows anything about football should know what's going on.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ha.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not sure how we are supposed to know what the wind is like at the game, but okay.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's also not "get tackled by the kicker."

That would be an Indianapolis call.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Completely uninformed, I'm going to say it's adding protection or signaling a blitzer or something of that nature. It's too simple and frequent to be an audible or check.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

He is a legitimately funny dude.

"was that like a fan submitted question?"

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's snap count. With a predetermined series or down to switch it up to stop the dl from getting too far upfield.

Omaha= first word. He does it for a certain amount of plays for the defense to get used to it. Then they switch it up. San Diego jumped 30 billion times.

12. kidbourbon

If everybody knew what was going on, he wouldn't shout it so much. Even the former QBs who are now talking heads say that it could be one of a few things.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Which is why the simple answer is usually it.

14. kidbourbon

Exactly, so really NOBODY knows what it means, except for the offensive players.

15. kidbourbon

I believe your explanation, but your explanation acknowledged that meaning* of the word is constantly changing.

*what the word is specifically communicating

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It is a false flag. It means nothing, but do many waste time trying to figure it out, instead of what they should be focusing on.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It was blatantly clear that's what he was doing Sunday. Also, that's been the call all year for snap count. They've done a good job baiting teams with it.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It basically means he can use any word after Omaha to snap the ball. It can be set, hut, snapthemother****ingball, or pickles.

19. kidbourbon

Hold on, it can't be that he can use any word after Omaha to snap the ball, or the defense would be able to jump on the first word after Omaha that wasn't Omaha. And if the snap were to go on a random word, what would be the point of the Omaha?

Like Peyton could say at halftime, "hey guys, in the third quarter we're snapping the ball after I say 'ballsdeep' and then in the fourth after 'justthetip'", and that would seem to accomplish the same objective. What is gained by yelling "Omaha Omaha ballsdeep" as opposed to just "ballsdeep"?

These questions are not being posed to be argumentative. I'm legitimately asking.

20. kidbourbon

Okay, we have two theories now. Time for a theory Battle Royale.