Peyton Manning explains what "Omaha" check means

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Well then help me. Please pretty please.

Explain to me how Omaha means the next word is when the ball is snapped, but then this is changed up, but that omaha still remains the cue to the offense that the next word is when the ball is snapped.

2. kidbourbon

When I text my weed guy "did you check out that show last week?" it means to meet me at 11th and U in 30 minutes where I will buy from him 1/8 lb of his goodies. But then sometimes we change it up and it means "I'm busy with work tonight, can I get back in touch with you tomorrow". But it always means "meet me at 11th and U in 30 minutes".

It's a great system we have.*

*This account was fictional. I haven't had a weed guy in years. Anybody around here from DC? If so, do you have a guy? PM me.**
    **I'm kidding.***
    ***No seriously.

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

They are both right.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Day 812: They are beginning to suspect my greatness. I must be more careful.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Well shit, now everybody's wrong.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Correct. Unless he uses "double-Omaha" (the first is decoy to gain encroachment).

7. Tenacious D

Manning's "Omaha" Call, Explained
    [youtube]F83L6eUU4qs[/youtube]

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Snap cadence can change, right? Or it has to stay the same. Omaha is the base on one count. Until coaches/linemen/or we just need easy 5 yards see they're getting up field. Then it's changed for that particular series. May be used with another call to alert everyone.

It's not rocket surgery or anything. We do this at the high school level. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it's done at the pee wee level.

9. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Somewhere in Foxboro huddled in a conference room the NE defensive line group is having this same conversation.

10. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

We did it at the Pee Wee level. My kids were 11/12 year olds. It was certainly not nearly as complicated as what Manning/Brady use pre-snap. Our QB would call out the Mike to set the blocking assignments, then he would make his directional call based on a series of colors that could change for left or right, then we had a U.S. state that represented every play we had. We were able to run no huddle without any issue. I will say, however, that it was rare for a defense made up of 11/12 year olds to ever completely figure out what we were doing. It would have to be way more complicated at even a JV level.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Dude is obviously reminding his team he want tickets to the CWS next year, that's it.

12. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

[​IMG]

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Clearly he is a nature lover

[video=youtube;sZg2tE3xJDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZg2tE3xJDY[/video]

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

It could be on set, go, hut, whatever they determine is the "next word" that determines the snap. Since you love baseball so much, I'll use an analogy from that sport.

I can go through any number of "signs", but they mean nothing until I give the "indicator" which means the next valid sign is what's on. I can give any number of "dummy signs" after the "indicator". They mean nothing. However, the next valid "sign" I give after the "indicator" is what's "on" for that pitch. Everything else is all 007 type stuff. Same with the snap count.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I assumed he was a big Counting Crows fan.
    [video=youtube_share;mToHbLlLd-A]http://youtu.be/mToHbLlLd-A[/video]

16. Tenacious D

If so, that'd make an even dozen.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

18. kidbourbon

[video=youtube;JjtbH0rOlRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtbH0rOlRU[/video]

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably my favorite of the Counting Crows songs.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Long December IMO