Peyton Manning explains what "Omaha" check means

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Indy, Jan 15, 2014.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Because most pre-snap words are based on a letter. Many times it's the first letter. Red=right, etc. Omaha could be used for "on one." For the better part of the year, when he's yelled Omaha, it's the next word you hear. Defensive front 7s pick up on that. They're taught to.

And so, they keep saying that x amount of times and eventually the D catches on. That's when they change it.

Peyton and all QBs have a shit ton of dummy calls as well. But this has been a pattern all year. And since all centers in the league are mic'ed up, teams can hear it as well. But that's not something that particularly gives them much of an advantage. Because at any time it can be switched.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Because he's baiting them. And the key to Omaha is that it means the play is set from there. No more checks. The next word after Omaha means give me the damn ball.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

There isn't a commercial producer alive who wouldn't trade their talent for Aaron Rodgers right now.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Okay, so the reason he yells Omaha Omaha ballsdeep instead of just ballsdeep is that by adding in the Omaha Omaha he's giving the defense something that they *think* they can figure out, and so they try, and they fail miserably.

Sounds like defensive players are pretty stupid.

5. kidbourbon

The last part contradicts your previous post, and your previous post makes more sense, so I'm gonna assume you didn't mean to phrase the above as you did. Because, again, if the next word after Omaha meant give me the damn ball, that would be a really retarded way of doing things.

6. kidbourbon

ATT guy.

[video=youtube;Ijeg-jeTUBs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijeg-jeTUBs[/video]

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Why? The defense doesn't catch on. And when they do, they switch it up. Coaches watch to see how guys are doing as far as getting a jump off the ball. When they get too far upfield, it's switched. 5 easy yards then.

And nothing I said contradicts.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some games it means one thing, other things in other games. He has several words like that. Not sure why not everyone realizes this. The words stay the same, the meaning changes from game to game and from context to context within game.

9. kidbourbon

No, it totally does.

You wrote:
    Which means, "they go on the first word after Omaha or they go on something else...whatever they decide", and is different from "they go on the first word after Omaha".

10. kidbourbon

And even in the above you're saying that they DON'T go on the first word after Omaha. You're kinda confusing me. If you're saying they go on the first word sometimes, then just say that.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Omaha means first words after Omaha. O=one. Not sure how that's so ****ing hard.

12. kidbourbon

But it is. I honestly have no idea what you're saying at this point.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Then you're helpless.

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

This stupid defensive guy is with you.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dunno why my post is getting ignored.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I assumed he was selling steaks

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

NYY, you said Omaha signals that the next word means "give me the damn ball." Then you said that once the defense catches on, they change it up. Tell us what you mean, specifically, by "change it up."

19. kidbourbon

Actually when it comes to reading comp, I'm pretty far from helpless. I won't quote standardized test scores because that's totally lame, but I'm confident that the helplessness here lies not with my ability to read and understand what you're writing, but in your ability to write two consecutive posts that are consistent with each other. And I'm not trying to be a [penis] here...not even a little. I would love for you to articulate your thoughts in a manner that can be understood, rather than in a manner in which -- literally -- no possible meaning can be gleaned.

20. kidbourbon

Jesus holy balls this is an amazing post. Whoever wrote it is surely handsome, charming, witty, blessed with a penis of adequate size and functionality, and just generally a credit to the human race.