Pitt Game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by yont sum iss?, Sep 1, 2022.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

We fixed things and got better as the season progressed last year, I have faith things will improve again this year. Being 2-0 is all we asked for heading into into the year

IP and TDVol1989 like this.
  2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

We are far from perfect but I feel the defense did elevate their game tonight. Offense needs to get on track but the team is slowly getting there. Just feels good to get this win. Further proof for recruits to see we are trending up and we have space for help. GO VOLS!

TDVol1989 likes this.
  3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The more I dwell on it, the prouder I am of the defense in the 2nd half. I get we knocked the starter out of the game, but they were flying around and playing with an attitude the entirety of the 2nd half despite being left out to dry by the offense and special teams. Who woulda thought the defense would have been mostly responsible for this win?

juicemane, chavisut and Volokie like this.
  4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

We certainly made that a lot harder than it needed to be. I know it sounds odd, but I actually come away from this game a little encouraged, mainly because of how the defense played. Liked how they buckled down and settled in after the first quarter. If the offense just has an average game we win by 3 or 4 scores.

juicemane and justingroves like this.
  5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Defense did play better but not sure what happens if their qb didn’t get injured. Both of them. Great pressure though.

6. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

If Hooker sharpens up we win this game handedly. He’s just been off the mark to start the season, but we’ve seen him be better than this so we can hope for him to settle in.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I wonder if he’s feeling the weight of expectations. I think getting a running back going would help him feel like he doesn’t have to do it himself

TDVol1989, IP, Memtownvol and 3 others like this.
  8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I just don't feel like the offense is that great. Sometimes it feels like it should be NCAA, and you can just replace a guy with another and keep on chugging. However, that ain't how it works in reality. Hell, not only has Hooker been off the mark, Tillman has dropped some sitters, as well as Hyatt. Those guys were spare parts before last year and performed at a crazy level. You hope that they're building back to that level.

9. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Oof. Glad we didn’t totally blow it. Glad we knocked him out or we lose.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Has to. Surprised everyone last year and went for 31/3. 5 sec qbs in 25 years had those numbers. Preseason hype, expectations, plus a summer throwing tweak trying to better him for the nfl.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Plus I believe they are familiar with Hooker from his VT days. Perhaps picked up on habits and tendencies.

12. KyleAlexanderfan

How do we feel about Pitt after that? Are they actually a legit top 25 team?

13. KyleAlexanderfan

I still can’t believe that pass their backup QB hobbling around with Banks or whoever in his face made to tie up the game at the end. Just ridiculous pass and catch. Semi well defended by Burrell.

14. KyleAlexanderfan

Also I loved seeing their coach cry like a [itch bay] when he challenged that McCoy TD and the half time interview.

zehr27 likes this.
  15. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Now that we got the W I hope they roll undefeated. They are much better complete football team than I thought.

16. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

I saw that sorta sidearm pass too and I was amazed how well a gimpy back up QB was playing, that was a perfect pass.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. Mostly just rolling median of previous game box scores. It’s surprisingly accurate for what it is, currently within striking distance on the ESPN pickem leaderboard. I’m testing out different models every week for work so it’ll only get better hopefully.

Attached Files:

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's very impressive, I'll be curious to see how it goes through the season.