Political Order and Decay

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 22, 2014.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I'll admit, I don't get the hatred for nationalism.

I get what nationalism can lead to, but that is any thing and every thing.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sure. the natural evolution of the species is to breed at a self sustaining level. we've seen this in every developed country already. it's only a matter of time before it also happens in 3rd world countries. that isn't to say I don't think a world govt will never happen.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

As John Lennon (and good lord, that won't help my debate, quoting Lennon) said "Brotherhood of Man" can replace it. I hope everyone can excuse my optimism, but to not reach for something better is just not acceptable to me.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sports.

5. NorrisAlan

I don't have a hatred of nationalism, per se. I am proud to be from the USA and am thankful every day that I was born here and not Somalia.

I guess I meant more nation states that combat for resources and political power. I refuse to believe that we cannot get past this in a world where we are more and more interconnected everyday, where a small war in Syria causes havoc across the whole globe.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Agreed. If that something is even compassionate capitalism or something, so be it. But we have to do better than what we are.

7. NorrisAlan

Go City, **** United!

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is already probably the most peaceful 50 years in world history. surely that trend will continue.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Would you want a central world power to deal with these situations?

10. NorrisAlan

I believe a world government is inevitable, yes. It won't happen in the next 100 years, but I do believe it will happen. And it isn't something to be afraid of, imho. I am not talking about some United Nations Bilderberger Group Free-Mason Thought Police government, either, but a World Federation of some sort.

It will just be the natural progression of things.

I don't want people to think I want Big Brother or to turn us into the Borg. Far from it.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This is one of the most peaceful times in human history. We're far better stewards of our resources, and technology and information keeps increasing. Where is this cliff besides our unsustainable debt and horrible foreign policy

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Come learn about environmental science with me.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I just wanted to say that Congress and the courts should let the agencies do their jobs.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Number of trees and air pollution is decreasing here and in other developed countries. I agree that our farming practices are unsustainable, but that's from the government.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

And so is the air pollution decreasing...

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Technology was the driving force before the clean air act.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it hasn't been done before with a population this large.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

yes.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

whether it's nationalism or factionism or religious bounds or educational bounds...people are going to migrate to like kind. It's nice to think of this future utopia formed around the better good and a single world governing body, but it's absurd. The effort for a single world governing body to maintain unity and quell dissent will require force, period. Force dictates opposing force. Voila, we're back to humanity ruling.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

If we do not grow beyond our current animalistic nature then we will cease to exist as an advanced species. If we evolve past our more violent and aggressive tendencies I believe we can achieve the societal advancement mentioned here. If we survive long enough I agree that we can grow beyond our current nature. The problem is that we are so far away from that right now that it does seem improbable.