Political Order and Decay

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Sep 22, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

evolve beyond competitiveness? comparisons?

How long will that evolution take, given that evolution is an eons discussion?

The bad guys among us love the idea that there are people who believe in the goodness of all men and probably pray for the day that those thinking this are handed the reins.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The sad truth is we're very tribalistic and look the other way at things done by our side.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

evolving this out of us is a problem for the early evolvers, for they'll be subjected to the "late bloomers." I wanna be on the side of the late bloomers, cause they gonna win. The early evolvers will have to devolve to get back to being anything but subject class citizenry.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think anyone is going to sign up by free will to decrease their standard of living

5. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Parts of our nature are quite valuable, I completely agree. I'm not advocating we leave all of that behind. Competitiveness is great and has many benefits. Straight violence is another matter. We have way too many today who derive pleasure from injuring or killing; that is what we must get past.

I also agree with you that we are a long, long way from improving on that. It may take some sort of global cataclysm to even get us on that path. I do think that we will grow past that as a species if we survive long enough. Certainly we're several hundred if not thousands of years away looking at our current state.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

violence is means to an end and all perpetrating it on the world justify their actions in language about the conclusion being the utopia you describe. That isn't ending.

The second coming, which IP is fervently awaiting, is the only thing I can imagine that will quell man's nature.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I believe we can rise above that nature. We will never find out who is right, of course, as we will be dead long before one side is proven right.

8. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I guess we're the Klingons.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We'll never get above it. It reminds me of the twilight zone episode that the town destroys itself from just the power turning on and off. We're our own worst fear, so it doesn't take too much to push us into hysteria against each other.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're going to have to support that one. The Clean Air Act was the 1960's. Air quality didn't begin to improve until the 1990's.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or Romulans. Or Ferengi.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

men have forever believed they could rise above their nature. I like the idea that we might, but it only takes one and that anomaly is forever going to exist, even if the majority rises. The anomaly has always been the problem, because the vast majority hates conflict.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thought experiment: let's say He ain't coming. What then?

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

we gon' be warrin and fightin over some limited resource, be it women, space, access, water, wine, cheese, goats, notoriety, etc, etc etc etc ad infinitum.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ah, so we are doomed if left to our own devices. I disagree.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Cheese and goats.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why must that lead to doom? even the irrational power crazed despot believes in self-preservation. Our ability to manage that and provide big deterrence is why we have hope. Forgetting to the point of putting down the proverbial fence is when we're doomed.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

or, we can keep wishing for this Utopia. All the collective years of wishing have...

Thoughtful moment - what in the hell makes any of you utopia types believe this is coming?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Short of a natural culling of the hurd that sets in place a world wide dark ages, we'll eventually kill ourselves through technology.