Put Up or Shut Up Time

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 5, 2015.

1. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Saw something elsewhere that Hymas was reporting KMac had been out with a concussion and only cleared 1-2 days before game....

Not sure how true... Could explain why limited though

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I believe they were trying to go as vanilla as possible. They've been working on a lot of speed rush packages that would have been great against bgsu that never saw the field.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a good excuse

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The Akron game was far worse than this because they were take 5 yard slants and making 25 yard gains out of them. There was a little of that in this game but it was mostly over the top. Oklahoma is the last team we'll face that does the no-huddle passing attack as well and I expect to see a better pass rush this week. I think we can stop that run game with just our front four, too.

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

We win by 10+ against OU.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Bold.

7. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Could we be so lucky as to think that this staff was actually thinking ahead to Oklahoma and running the defense at half speed so they wouldn't have a good tape on us?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jancek has been a dc for a while, everything he does is on film.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think we were vanilla. Like low grade cheap generic you hate when it gets served at kids birthday parties your kids have been invited to vanilla. (And if you don't know this kind, you will.)

As much crap as I throw at him, I think Martinez not there played a factor.

I think BG is pretty dang good offensively.

What bothered me was the percentage of times they beat us over the top and how wide open they were. 9 routes aren't complicated or gimmicky.

On the plus side, the inner me that wants to think he's a coach looks at all this, is glad they happened because they in some ways are fixable. Also plenty to keep them grounded this week.

10. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I'm wondering about Thig....it feels like it's been years since our LBs cosistently scraped and made plays at the LOS. On that fourth down run Jumper wasn't stunting...he just took a step into the quagmire. I expected to see a lot more of Phillips at end and McDowell on the outside.

11. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Butch didn't seemed too bothered by the defensive performance.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's at least two ways to read that, though.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

All the Fox Sports 1 guys picked Sooners over Vols. Specifically they mentioned how talented OU was, Very well coached, that a lot of focus was put on the defense this year to correct for it's shortcomings last year according to Stoops, and that the Vols gave up 400 yards passing to BG and now will face an air raid offense.

All in all, I will like it if we come in perceived as significant underdogs. Because I think this is a toss-up, and I like having the "uh oh" element when momentum shifts be there for the "favored" team, and not us.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's a much better recruiter than he is a coach

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Martinez is Jancek's guy in the booth.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It made a difference. No doubt.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

His steps/reads on plays away from him were atrocious. Flow goes away, check counter. If he had flown hard, I could live with it. You can teach that out of him. He didn't. He hopped around looking clueless until he was engulfed in the chaos of the LoS. I mean, he jumped around like Bluto when he was trying to sneak around. It's like he was running, check that, hopping through a field full of teats and was trying to touch every one of them.

18. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Quagmire.
    Laughed

19. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Jumper appeared to have bad feet and slow reads. Horrible, horrible, horrible for a linebacker. Let alone a middle guy. And to top it off he was catching blocks and never once delivered a blow.

20. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

I'm more concerned about LB/Nickel than any position on the field. The D line will be lights out by game four. Pass defense was concerning, but two of those long plays were perfectly executed and indefensible. Letting them gain a foot on fourth an 1 deep in their own territory is really bad.

Truthfully, that game just felt weird. I know it was a midstate marketing ploy, but it just felt all wrong.

For me running the ball for 4 hunskie was the highlight.