Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Had no clue he even had prior known health issues. Although if you factor in his age, morbid obesity, and the high likelihood he *probably* has never exactly eaten a healthy diet( his anti-veggie rants come to mind), it is explainable. Plus by nature these coaches are more sedentary than one might assume who isn't around football coaches. These dudes sit on their asses all day everyday watching film, not ideal for the ole blood flow. Add in the internal stress these coaches put on themselves and you have a recipe for compromising your health. It's kinda surprising you don't see coaches having heart attacks (or strokes/aneurysms) more often imo. Believe that was a huge consideration as to why Stoops retired so early from OU because his father fell over dead while coaching football.

2. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

100 hour work weeks don’t help. You’re always doing something, whether it’s film study, recruiting, practicing, etc. Never get much of a break. You have to be borderline psychopathic to do this into your 70s like Saban

ole_orange likes this.
  3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Not confirmed but rumor is he had a major heart attack

One of State’s 247 guys is saying he needs a miracle

4. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I remember Fulmer’s wife tried to convince him to retire after the natty. Think he was only like 46 then. While the money is obviously nice, it still has to be tough on families for these coaches to spend so much time away from home.

ole_orange likes this.
  5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’m actually kinda stunned Fulmer has lived as long as he has, with seemingly no real health issues to speak of along the way *knocks on wood*. I always had worries in the back of my mind that he would just keel over on us. Fulmer was and always has been disgustingly obese. Ever been to a nursing home and seen really overweight old people? Cause I haven’t

Of course Johnny Majors famously was a drunk from his teenage years until 1992 when his lifestyle led to a life saving open heart surgery. And he lived to be nearly 90 (him forever giving up the booze after that certainly saved him from an early demise). Him never being a fatass was also helpful I’m sure with him having a long and fruitful retirement

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hate to hear that

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Ole Miss 247 guy says he was told they’re just keeping him on life support long enough for family to say goodbye.

8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Not sure how Ole Miss beat scoops the State beat on this, but TIFWIW

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not the sort of thing you'd go out on a limb with, surely

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Wouldn’t think so, you’d never live it down if you turned out to be wrong

It does jive with the “he needs a miracle” stuff coming from the State 247 camp though.

11. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Leach has to make it and have an hour long interview telling us what happened. I’d pay $39.95 to watch it.

CardinalVol and justingroves like this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

14. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

InVolNerable, IP and HCKevinSteele like this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Truly bizarre article in total

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Reports are that Leach is in comfort/hospice care. Has been unresponsive since his "cardiac event" yesterday.

College football will be worse without Mike Leach in it.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

18. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Just sad news. My prayers for the family and friends.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

[uck fay]

He was truly a master of the traditional air raid and a real person in a profession full of people selling a bullshit front

ole_orange, IP and NorrisAlan like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Losing a real and interesting character.