Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Actually should be four years. UK got screwed in Gainesville in ‘16. Like legit screwed.

justingroves likes this.
  2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

RIP Justin Fuente

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Is wild.

I wanted nothing to do with Cutcliffe when Kiffin bailed in 2009. But, man, though we might not have won the SEC in the last decade, you gotta think we’d have been a damn handful for anybody and a perennial top 15ish program.

utvol0427 and IP like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I could just sob. so true, yet it felt like it would be quitting back then.

RockyHill and JT5 like this.
  5. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Hard to understand how Fuentes takes Memphis to 9-10 win seasons but can't be competitive in the ACC.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Mainly because we are a fan base that seems To be perpetually convinced we deserve better than whatever is being served (under Fulmer 10 wins was a joke, Kiffin wasn’t southern enough, can’t hire Cutcliffe, Leach is horrible, etc etc.).

I’m right there in the middle of it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

so does that mean we need to let pruitt flip the roster before we write him off?

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was totally bought into the idea that if by year two you aren’t already doing well then you are never going to win big.

And that might be true.

It’s frustrating to see it happen at other places. And I hear people say with the right hire it would happen here.

But we are so far down this road of dysfunction that I’m fading on that notion. I’m now on the side of giving him time.

With Butch it was clear he wasn’t recruiting the right type of player. Keeping him was going backward. He didn’t know football and didn’t seem to surround himself with any gurus. That’s just running into the ground.

I like Pruitt’s recruiting style and he has a great staff. It might end up being the wrong decision but I’m good with letting him have a go at it.

IP likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think year 2 is a good measure, unless there is an * due to injuries and/or who is at QB. I dont believe you can blanket it with year 2s. Situations vary. Coach coming in with Dobbs in year 2 is goong to look a lot better than with what we have, yet he may be a worse coach.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It would have been. He was a known commodity and it wasn’t what we came to the store to buy. Obviously, we ended up rummaging through the dumpster behind the store, but even so...

And those first few years of Kiffin/Dooley era the schedule was still pretty tough. I’m also not so sure how well he gets along with Bray. So a lot of those offensive studs Kiffin brought in might have been wasted by the time Cut got his guy in place. If Cutcliffe could have survived a few years until Urban left and Spurrier started to tail off a bit, then maybe he could have won the SEC East. I doubt he’d have broken the Bama streak or won the conference. Probably would have won at least handful when Florida was in the pooper, though.

11. Ssmiff

Last week ark QB throws 5 picks and they lose to a nobody. This week he gets hurt after another bad int, and the backup is driving to try and beat the Aggies

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But they still lost

13. Ssmiff

Yeah but 28 pt dogs. Had a chance to win. They get blown out if their starter woulda stayed in

14. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

And BYU loses to Toledo.....

15. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Couldn’t ask for a better start in South Bend

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Why the hell can you not advance a muffed punt?

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Mobile qbs cover up so many weaknesses

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

John Rhys Plumlee. What an Ole Miss name.

19. Ssmiff

Ole Miss QB is quick. Legs already accounted for 3 first downs. Can he throw? Another true freshman harder to defend than what we have.

20. Ssmiff

Good thing we have a statue in todays college game.