Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Is this purely schadenfreude or do you actually give a shit ?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I definitely give a shit. I know that nobody was using the chant with that kind of meaning probably in my lifetime, but it definitely did have a local history that had been forgotten-- and now some don't accept existed. It's fair to say, "what does it matter now, IP?" Maybe it doesn't directly. But this was as recent as 85 years ago, and I do think history matters in terms of understanding the nature of today.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Do you give a shit for reasons more than it is an interesting piece of history ?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, I tried to express that in my last sentence. Change is incremental, but memories are short. I don't give a shit as like it is an interesting coffee table book idea.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

And as far as schadenfreude, you may have missed my post about the Knoxville Riots that resulted in several black businesses and families leaving the city 100 years ago that I made earlier this month.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don’t make the rules.

droski likes this.
  7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Sorry. I'm genuinely interested in what your motivations are as someone who is my polar opposite politically. I'm not great at writing and the last thing I want to do is to come off as ugly and toxic.

How do we as a society seek the change you're referring to without venturing in to what Trotsky called "perpetual revolution"?

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Yeah I missed that. Once the riots started around the country, I had to take a step back from everything.

9. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Not just babies. At least Chubbs could defend himself
    85CB3562-BCDE-4F1B-95C4-F77E5CAF095A.gif

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm unfamiliar with that term or him beyond his role in the Soviet Revolution, but I don't think he or anyone else has a crystal ball. If it involves violence, I am not interested in it, nor am I interested in communism as an economic system. At all. For me personally, and this may not at all be a mainstream position from people who are more aligned with me, we are at a place where a lot of things that used to seem like major dividers are gone. For example, my wife is Irish and Italian. Like, 2nd generation of both. Grew up Catholic. I didn't know or care about any of that when I met her. Her family didn't care that I was not Catholic, and not remotely Irish or Italian. We were just two people. All those things were just interesting facts and background.

That's how it should be for everyone. Your skin tone or ancestral origin shouldn't matter how you are treated by the law, LE, businesses, employers, etc. Same for gays, same for trans folks, etc. The individual should be valuable simply because they are an individual, and those aspects ought to not affect their value. But it currently absolutely does for many groups. So I don't see anything perpetual about it, I think there is a clear goal that matches the benchmark established at the founding of this nation regarding liberty and the individual. It was an unfulfilled promise then, and still is now. We're getting closer. We are still moving away from the specter of "divine right" and the shadow of people thus falling into "classes" based on that, and towards true equality.

Volst53 likes this.
  11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But when do you let it go, though? I am 50 and had never ever heard this before except in the Amos Moses song by Jerry Reed, and I thought it was just to show how tough Amos Moses was.

I use the term "rule of thumb", but from what I understand it has very sexist connotations. When do we just accept that the language has changed and that its original meaning is long gone and it has been laundered to the point it is now innocuous?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think if you argued that "rule of thumb" was never used in reference to the width of an object with which you may legally beat your wife, and that women were never beaten by men, we'd have a 1:1 comparison. And that is the difference. "Gator bait" is not the same phrase today, clearly. But it does have a backstory that shouldn't be claimed to not exist, and that backstory is relevant to understanding social issues reverberate today. E.g. the valuing of some people differently than others.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doubt many black people remembered or associated it with that until this hit twitter. but whatever. not exactly a big deal

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can't disagree with you. And no, it isn't a "big deal," in itself. There are a thousand ghosts like this, though. Or more.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I can work with this view point.

The left has jumped the shark though with post modernist taking over and it's all group hierarchy and intersectionality.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see it as the harder some people resist working towards equality, the more fuel it gives radicals.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Now that all this shit is coming out about Gundy, I honestly cannot believe we didn't hire him. It would have fallen right in line with everything else that goes wrong for us.

2Maggitt2Quit and NorrisAlan like this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

What the actual hell

droski likes this.
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i meant it’s not a big deal to get rid of it.

IP likes this.
  20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ve always hoped for the banning of the tomahawk chop just to enjoy the Braves fans melting down

justingroves likes this.