Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Kelly used undersized offensive and defensive lines. Through an SEC season, the injuries would mount. See: Butch Jones under Tennessee, who was trying to do similar stuff. Undersized because of the hurry-up, and the conditioning. The philosophy doesn't hold up if you are facing 300 plus pound future NFL draft picks all season. There is an endurance element that shows up when playing in the South because of the abundance of very large and fast players on the lines. Speed and pound for pound strength is great, but durability/endurance matters too.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he actually had multiple olinemen get drafted and play on nfl teams so that's not true. as for the dline that's what's available to recruit at oregon. though he did have a couple of dlinemen drafted. most notably arik armstead who was a 4 or 5 star recruit. they would sub a lot of guys out on the dline though. again much of the sec is doing hurry up right now, so obviously people think it works.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

You first sentence is a non-sequitur. Do they weigh more or less in the NFL than they did in college? More. Same with the dlinemen. They hefted up.

I didn't say the hurry-up in itself doesn't work. He was lining up in a formation and calling one of five or seven plays out of it, most of the game, depending on what the defense did. The SEC teams running hurry-up are running more than that. And they aren't building their defenses/lines like Oregon did.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if they can start in the nfl i'm sure they can hang in the sec. i don't remember any talk of oregon having small olines. the nfl is also about offensive lines being more mobile and athletic than before these days. he was at the forefront of that. what you are talking about is decade old thinking in the nfl.

again simplicity is exactly what everyone is doing. and again oregon didn't intentionally have small dlines. when they could get a big guy they got him. you can't recruit 5 star dlinemen to oregon consistently. the only that exist in the west go to usc.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/10/18/17981562/oregon-offense-2018-mario-cristobal

https://fishduck.com/2012/07/oregon-ducks-have-bigger-players-than-the-sec/

How many instances of people talking about Oregon under Kelly (including Kelly himself) being smaller do you want? I can do more. I just don't know why more would be any more convincing than quotes from Kelly himself, the stats presented in the first one, or the statement referencing the widespread nature of this sort of talk in the second one.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

6’5 302 isn’t small. That’s basically the average size of an nfl offensive lineman. You are talking a 10 pound difference. That’s nothing

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The hardest thing in the world to find is athletic big men and that's why the SEC dominates

It's not that crazy at the state of their run they were using smaller linemen due to recruiting gap they'd have to overcome

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

To be clear, there is no evidence that can convince you that Oregon's line was on the smaller side, and that people have talked about that nationally. Even Chip Kelly made reference to it. There is no evidence that would convince. Not even Chip Kelly.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

how about the evidence that their oline under kelly was bigger than the average sec olinemen?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Even Chip Kelly could not convince you. The SEC includes teams that aren't going to be winning the conference either. Being an above average SEC team makes you a bubble top 25 team. The line was under-sized. National media said it. Oregon said it. Chip Kelly said it.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

facts don’t matter got it. You seem to be confusing mobility and athleticism with lack of physicality which goes against any modern idea of football. The average size of nfl offensive linemen is 6’5 315. Same height, 10 pounds heavier. I’ve already proven they are bigger than the average sec olinemen. Not sure what you want. Kelly isn’t saying his oline were [ussies pay]. Exactly the opposite. Oregon consistently led the country or near the lead in rushing every year he was there. They were a physical running team. That’s one of the biggest misconceptions out there.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That Oregon team that dismantled us would have done pretty well in the SEC. They weren’t as good as Saban’s teams but were as good as anyone else in the conference, iirc

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Dont be fooled by tiny numbers on jerseys. Makes players look smaller.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

23 Clemson players have tested positive for the covid. This fall is going to be interesting in how they do it. I just hope none of the players are put in too much jeopardy.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Saban made dramatic changes to his defense, which Pruitt had a lot to do with. His linebackers went from 260 lb gap stuffers to 240 lb hybrid safeties

droski likes this.
  18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's karma for Dabo's "football matters" t shirt

19. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

I'd be surprised if any of the main sports finished their season.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

football has to or a ton of athletic departments will go under

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.