Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look at what Saban did at Michigan State and LSU. He won games he had no business winning with the talent he inherited. His second and third seasons at Alabama, he steamrolled people with a lot of Mike Shula guys.

He's one of the best coaches to ever do it. I hate he's decided to retire from Tuscaloosa

InVolNerable and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

For the sake of this conversation it's probably important to divide his career post spread passing explosion to the time before it. Through the end of his time at LSU I agree with you. I wouldn't consider my comments on the obscene talent advantage as applicable in the Michigan State / LSU years. He also didn't do anything that would have cemented him as a greatest of all time candidate during that run (though he likely would have if he stayed at LSU).

Alabama is a different story. For this conversation I do think it's important to remember that was pre-offensive explosion where you could more easily steamroll people playing dinosaur ball. Regardless, 2008 was impressive, you're right about that. Most of the key parts of that 2009 team though were Saban recruits from the insane #1 2008 class they got after a 7-6 season and they cheated their asses off to get it. The foundation of this entire run started with that class. And this is not some sort of Auburn narrative. If you know anyone that knows anything about high school football in the state of Alabama you can ask them about it.

3. HCKevinSteele

If the dam were to ever break and people start talking about all that's been buried during Saban's LSU and Alabama runs it would be incredible. And, I feel like I need to emphasize, much of what I'm talking about is out there and people know about it, but legacy media/NCAA was never going to touch it in any material way.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Talk like Jimbo's can crack dams.

6. HCKevinSteele

100%. One person stepping up could be all it takes.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He didn't do anything there that hasn't been done by competent coaches. Let's not act like he could do what Bill Snyder and Hayden Fry did.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He went 9-2 at Toledo in his only year coaching there

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was on Saban's staff so he should probably keep his mouth shut

OneForVol likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Or he should let Saban know to keep his shut

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Part of me thinks that Jimbo wouldn't care to burn the whole thing down, himself included, just to [uck fay] Saban, then go take his millions and drink all day on his ranch.

13. HCKevinSteele

That's the point. Where did Jimbo and Kirby learn to play the game? They're both beating him at a game that he taught them and he's sore about it.

IP, Savage Orange and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Toledo has a pretty good history of jump starting coaching careers. Gary Pinkel and Matt Campbell did well there as well. Beckman would have also had a great run there had he not committed career suicide and took the Illinois job.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Jimbo is just dumb enough to burn it all down. I have my popcorn ready.

PilotFlyingJ and justingroves like this.
  16. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

I hope they both bring each other down, along with Kirby.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Deon is right. This was a call to Alabama boosters for more nil money. That’s it

justingroves, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That dude is ready made for modern college football.