POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I have a hard time calling going somewhere wearing that “all she did was show up”

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

so not about performance

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I used to roll my eyes when people talked about the expectations put on celebrities, but I just didn't realize grown ass adults had specific expectations of how famous strangers should submit themselves to the public when in public, all the time. thought it was limited to the paparazzi and stuff... guess not. She doesn't owe anyone anything and can do what she wants. Marshawn was just there so he would not be fined. Boy, [uck fay] this toxic celebrity culture.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I [uck fay]ed up, I didn't have coffee yet. I thought you were talking about AOC.

The Dooz, Unimane and IP like this.
  5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, not about performance. But doesn't that seem like a weird line to draw? She's fine being in the spotlight, in front of cameras, and doing interviews... as long as they aren't asking about her performance?

Is it fair to characterize that as "shy?"

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Who is saying she owes anyone anything?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

not particularly weird, yes I would say that is a manifestation of shyness. she doesn't like to publicly dissect her performance. I also hate talking about my performance in annual reviews at work. or writing it. or writing bios.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

You! it is implicit with expecting her to conform to your expectations regarding questions, interviews, etc

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

But it's part of your job, right? Some people have performance reviews more frequently than annually. What would happen if you or they just said "Nah, I'm not going to do that," and when asked why not, you replied "mental health?"

Would your boss and other people in the company just accept it and even make excuses for you, saying it's okay because you're a shy person? I think that's where my issue lies. I think the majority of people get some form of anxiety when they have to stand up and speak in public, and I think it can be easily magnified when they're asked to reflect on their own performance. But they do it because they have to because it's their job. Why does Osaka get the pass that others don't? And some aren't just giving her a pass, they're celebrating her for it.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't give a single [uck fay] if Naomi Osaka does an interview or not.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not a single one?

So, what is the con you think she has going on?

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, not a single one. But I think you'd find a lot of tennis players/fans, and those involved with the women's game, specifically, who would speak to the importance of those interviews for the promotion of the game. The people who came before Osaka who subjected themselves to those interviews are likely a big part of what grew the sport and pushed it to a point where Osaka can make millions of dollars a year playing a game.

Con seems a bit, strong... She just doesn't seem to like being criticized when she performs poorly. I don't think anyone does, so it's not like that's abnormal. And I don't even really have a problem with it, if that's the case. I just think that equating that with mental health is a bit of a cop out.

Which is how I felt when we discussed this a while back, and you told me she's a super shy person who doesn't like the spotlight. Which is why I brought up this whole thing with the Met Gala.

13. Unimane

Yes, you certainly seem to not care. So, the con is she doesn't like to be criticized and is faking or exaggerating her insecurities about being interviewed in those circumstances? Dropping out of a major tournament was all part of the ruse? Seems a bit contrived.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, no one said she is faking or exaggerating anything. You're just pulling that out of thin air.

I don't think she likes to be criticized when she performs poorly, but saying so, out loud, would be bad for her brand. Imagine how people would respond if Naomi Osaka said "I'm not doing interviews because I don't like to be criticized." She'd get roasted. But if she frames it on mental health, she not only doesn't get roasted, she gets praised.

It's like Garth Brooks saying he's canceling his concert because of an uptick in the Delta variant rather than saying he's canceling it because ticket sales are down.

And she dropped out of the French Open, which, from what I read, is played on a surface on which she doesn't perform super well. I saw suggestions that she was more likely to be upset early in that tournament than in others. So, ya, I don't think it's a stretch to say that her dropping out of it plays into the idea of her being afraid of failure/being called out for performing poorly.

15. Unimane

You extrapolated this whole theory from what? Thin air? Is there anything to suggest this is the case other than your supposition because you don't want to believe the explanation they gave you?

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Doesn't basic human nature suggest it? No one "likes" being criticized. Even the people who say they like criticism don't truly like criticism - they just allow themselves to see the ways in which it drives them or helps them improve.

17. Unimane

You're going with "human nature" as evidence for your theory? You think she dropped out of this tournament because she didn't play well on the surface, didn't like critique, and then used mental health as an illegitimate excuse. That's a pretty specific scenario you've created with an exceedingly weak level of evidence in "human nature".

Sometimes, you get stuck to your silly contrarian ideas just for the sake of them when a more obvious answer eludes your grasp.

18. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

I like how Indy's approach is that she doesn't have any social anxiety because she isn't having a meltdown episode every time she's in public. It's one of those, "tell me you don't know what you're talking about without explicitly telling me you don't know what you're talking about" moments.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don’t know what to think. I didn’t really care about what she did with the French open, but it does seem strange after that, showing up at the met gala, dressed like that. But whatever.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The stress of answering questions about a tennis match can be pretty brutal compared to the stresses most have to deal with each day.