POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

2. Ssmiff

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Trump's lawyer at the Supreme Court today arguing for immunity to the president. He describes a president ordering the assassination of a political rival as a potential "official act" allowed under the Constitution. His case doesn't seem to be gaining traction among the justices, even the ones Trump appointed.

4. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The Government's lawyer does not seem to be gaining much traction, either. Specifically with Alito.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

SCOTUS will laugh off the Trump defense assertation. But Trump won, because as soon as SCOTUS decided to take up the case it delayed the actual trial to past the general election, which is all they wanted.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Why would waiting till after the election matter? He is not winning.

8. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

He’s trying to be president again. It’s the only thing he cares about. Pushing anything past the election is a win for him. In his mind if he’s president he’ll pardon himself, fire the justice department or do whatever it takes to avoid jail. If he loses the election he knows he’s [uck fay]ed anyways.

9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Right or wrong, my read of the situation is Trump's strategy is delay wherever he can. He is not interested in a speedy trial on any level.

If SCOTUS slow walks a decision such that Smith can't hold/complete the trial before the election he has a better chance of winning the election. One reason is some portion of those that would vote for him have indicated they won't vote for him pending outcome of the trials before the election.

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I still believe that had Nixon not been pardoned, the issue of President/former President "immunity" would not be a thing.

It was bullshit, a cop out and had nothing to do with rule-of-law.

SetVol13 and IP like this.
  11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

California is a disaster

12. Ssmiff

Those were just words and words shouldn’t make people scared

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That probably isn't true. Threatening someone with a machete is obviously an arrestable offense.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You mean Musk and "End Wokeness" may not be reliable sources?

15. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Very well may not be, but it wouldn’t exactly be a departure from what’s happening in a lot of blue cities.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don’t know that I’d use “obviously”.

justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I live in such a city, this stuff is mostly hysterical bullshit.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If that happened in certain area of SF I'd 100% buy it.

zehr27 likes this.
  19. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think that depends on what you mean by “this stuff”. It is not even debatable that a lot of blue cities have gotten absurdly lax on policing/prosecuting serious crimes and it results in people being on the street that shouldn’t be. Nothing about that is hysterical, to deny it is to acknowledge you don’t pay attention or understand it’s bad for Dems.

I think what your probably including in “this stuff” is when people are overly dramatic about what cities are actually like and overstate the prevalence of these things to make it seem like if you’re in public often you’ll probably be attacked. That is hysterical BS, no doubt. The fact remains though that in cities across the country we’ve got a lot of people that we used to keep locked up because they need to be running around committing crime nonstop. Now instead of getting a couple years they’ll just drop charges or give a slap on the wrist.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Adjust for population and see what happens to that crime rate. We have more people locked up than any other country. Maybe locking people up doesn't work.