POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

As someone living in NC, this is what makes me sad.

zehr27 likes this.
  2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Stupid or liar? I guarantee no rich person is paying the same marginal tax rate as a teacher (unless the teacher's husband make $200K a year).

zehr27 likes this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yes

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I noticed you added a word to what he said.

Poppa T and utvol0427 like this.
  5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Yep. That added word is not a marginal addition.

However, IMO Reich should have been more precise in his tweet.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Uh take out marginal and they definitely don’t pay a higher rate. The marginal just means real tax rate. Most rich people are at the highest possible tax rate, but the marginal rate is much lower. No teacher is in a higher tax bracket than a billionaire. That’s just not possible

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it was added to point out how preposterous the statement was on any level. Take out marginal and it’s even more ridiculous

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I can generate money and pay 0% by not "realizing it" but get a loan based off of it as collateral I'd say what he is saying is neither stupid or lying.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

That’s not income. Should the teacher be paying taxes because their house went up in value and she takes out a home equity loan? And I guarantee musk is at the maximum tax bracket.

zehr27 likes this.
  10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Musk only paid $11 bil in taxes last year. Obviously not paying his fair share

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's the game. And you know it.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So to be clear. Teachers should have to pay taxes on a heloc? Because it’s exactly the same thing.

justingroves likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's made hundreds of billions and has paid none for many years. I have paid a higher proportion of my earned wealth in tax in my lifetime than I have. You stated a number for a reason. It is a small percentage of the wealth he has earned and he does not pay tax on because it remains unrealized but he can still use it in various ways.

Find someone dumber to play this game with.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

So again. My house has almost tripled in value since I bought it. I should be paying capital gains taxes on that? How about my business. My business is worth a crapload more than it was when I started it. If I take out a loan on my business to buy another business I should pay taxes on that loan? It’s nonsensical and pure rich shaming

15. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Tax terminology can be confusing for the average taxpayer. As I said, "Reich should have been more precise."

For example: NC lowered our tax rate (and claimed victory for the masses) but reduced the deductions that average people claim (mortgage interest/personal property tax) and increased deductions for the rich/famous (private airplanes/yachts). So for the average taxpayers, while the tax rate was reduced, when applied to the higher taxable income you paid more tax.

The devil is in the details.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

You said the guy was stupid or a liar. He is neither. Someone without a house or a business carries a higher relative burden than someone with appreciating assets. Your argument is basically that this just the way it is. Which only you ever claimed otherwise when you said he was lying.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Right which is why I said marginal tax rate. To be more accurate

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He said tax rate not relative tax burden. Read the tweet. My argument is that his statement is ridiculous and dead wrong. If you want to get into the weeds as to why we don’t tax unrealized assets we can, but that wasn’t his argument.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Tesla has dropped from $1,100 to $700 in what 3 months? Does he get his taxes back if he paid the gain on $1,100 even though he didn’t sell?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

*tax guy sits back and reads silently

Poppa T likes this.