POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

It was a deliberate pivot in the early days towards cars, because at the time cars made more sense. We were not as populous or densely settled then.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Said another way ... "Not enuff short-term profit."

There is always a "reason".

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think an argument could be made that it was a lot cheaper to build a road network everywhere than a rail network everywhere. But the optimal way of doing it would have been a combination and remains the case.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm happy with Operation Fly Formula, the FDA steps with the Abbott plant, and invoking the Defense Production Act.

But why did it take people actually getting in a panic for this to all occur? The situation had been clearly coming months ago, why wait until it is critical?

Not really a criticism of anything in particular but rather of the US government as an institution. We even had almost 200 members of the House vote against some of these measures because they didn't really think it would do anything and was performative... Well what does it hurt try? If it helps out just 5 % of infants or ends this a week or two earlier than it would have anyway, then it was worth it. Politics with formula. Unreal.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I feel bad about the baby formula crisis but part of me wonders why it is a crisis. Formula has been around for a nanosecond of modern mankind's history yet we have survived 200,000 years; 6 million if you count our earliest ancestors.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I thought about this as well. My wife breastfed all of our children so formula was never an issue. I had no idea how much it was used until all of this as we never needed it.

justingroves likes this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just don't know enough about it to say. It is disturbing to think how dependent we apparently were on a single plant in Michigan.

zehr27 and VolDad like this.
  8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

government limits competition by not allowing other companies to enter the market through regulatory powers.

this leads to having a concentration and once something breaks the whole supply is in trouble.

There’s a lot of this in our food supply too and I don’t think many know how thin the line is between civil society and chaos

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I imagine a combination of wet nursing (good luck with that today) and ground up grains. I also imagine it is part of the reason our infant mortality is so low now, too. I don't want to go back to a world where we had to rely on things like wet nursing and coarse ground up meals. Not saying that is what you want to do.

10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

And it's everywhere in our economy. In many industries there are only 2-3 companies, and in big industries where this isn't the case there is ongoing rapid consolidation taking us there. To me it's one of the most important issues facing our country and it hast to stop.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's literally nothing to this WHO/monkey pox stuff. Nothing. But you have the fringe folks saying Canada is already locked down by the WHO and the WHO will soon "occupy" the US. One day later you have all this from US political figures. This is madness.

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

We are truly living in strange political times...

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Disgraceful.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

For once I believe that you have uttered an understatement. :)

gcbvol likes this.
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hey, Trump and DeSantis are on a collision course.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It has to happen. Going to be a blood bath.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If we're lucky they'll both kill themselves.

utvol0427 and The Dooz like this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Dang. Lots of hate.

19. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

If you love a guy that uses his political office to single out and punish individuals and groups for wrong think, that's a problem you'll have to sort out on your own.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't like a lot of what he does, I just don't think we would be lucky if he killed himself. Guy has a family. You do you though.