POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Crime rate isn’t even the issue. It’s being so soft on crime that you constantly have violent crimes happening and they are committed by people who should have been in jail already for previous crimes committed.

You’re getting to something more broad that’s incredibly complicated. Yes we jail too many people. Yes to some extent it’s worse because of the collapse in mental health care. But at the end of the day there is a certain group, very small, that commits most violent crime. They will do so as long as they are free. They cannot be rehabilitated. The left has decided to try letting them run free and it’s going exactly how any serious person would have predicted.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

The left hasn't decided shit. We keep doing the same stuff and it doesn't work. That certain group aren't immortal vampires who never go away. It is a revolving door created by society

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Locking people up is the natural conclusion to all the other stuff that doesn’t work. Not locking them up is insanity.

4. HCKevinSteele

Who do you think originated these shifts in policing/prosecuting? It’s not Republicans.

Again, you’re not getting it. What we’re doing now is different. We were locking them up before and it actually works really well.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

And here we are.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

What shift, really? The prisons are full. You are claiming there is a change. What is it? Be specific.

7. HCKevinSteele

The shift is not making arrests for certain crimes or investigating at all where in the past that wouldn’t be the case. And more importantly it’s dropping charges altogether after arrests or reducing to a lesser crime.

This is not conspiratorial so don’t start with that shit. If you don’t want to read about it or bury your head in the sand feel free, but there’s not an argument to be had here.

8. HCKevinSteele

This type of gotcha post kinda makes it clear to me you don’t understand what we’re even talking about.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This TN franchise tax refund is going to be something else.

SetVol13 likes this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am just wanting you to point to something specific and not the same talking points I've heard all my life about blue cities while crime rates are actually higher per capita in red states.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You like to think I don't, but you don't actually say anything I can't read on a bumper sticker. I know crime rates, I know what it is like to live in a major metro area, and I know violent crime was FAR higher when I was a kid in the early 90's than today so all of this hand-wringing is divorced from reality.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

What? Like the War on Drugs? Bang up job there. Most destructive social policy in the last 50 years in this country.

There's plenty to suggest mass incarceration does not work very well. In fact, the crime rate and prison population rises and falls on a whole host of factors not related to lefties deciding to prosecute crimes, or whatever absurd argument is being pushed there. Why did crime rates suddenly drop in the 90s? It wasn't because tough Republicans began putting people in prison. Hell, it wasn't because Democrats decided to put people on the streets, either. Being "soft on crime" is an empty political slogan used in campaigns to drum up votes. They jail people everywhere, even machete wielding folks in hippy, dippy places.

Any time I hear the pablum of "blue cities" it's often based upon some generalized observation of people who don't spend time there (like when it was argued here Portland, Oregon had been "burned to the ground") and anyone arguing the left has "decided" to let criminals run free isn't making a serious argument.

13. HCKevinSteele

What is something specific to you? One particular incident?

Again, you’re missing it. I said this already, but we’re not talking about crime rates. Crime rates include all kinds of stuff outside the scope of what we’re talking about.

We’re talking about a relatively small amount of total crime committed by a VERY small group of people. The kind of people that constantly commit crime. They will forever as long as they’re free. This is not conjecture, it’s science, as reliable as gravity.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

One thing that has trended poorly is the clearance of violent crimes. That's on the police. But no one will talk about that.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say there wasn't a small amount of total crime committed by a very small group of people. You're saying they are not getting arrested. I am saying there are new members to that group all the time.

16. HCKevinSteele

Good lord. Yes I agree with pretty much all of that. You’re missing what I’m talking about entirely.

But let me put it succinctly. Yes, I agree mass incarceration doesn’t work. I’m not talking about mass incarceration. I’m talking about 100% incarceration of the .1% of people (maybe it’s .05% idk) who unquestionably deserve because they constantly commit violcrime when free.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Reading on it, seems strange.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have never heard anyone anywhere say violent offenders should be free. Never. Fiction.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Something like the "three strikes law" or similar? Hell, that one was as much a Democrat policy and an abject failure, too. How many habitual criminals, that .1%, aren't behind bars, though? I'm willing to wager most of them are, but I also value a society which doesn't simply lock people up forever because they were not good guys at one point in their life. There's always going to be anecdotal evidence of people who feel through the cracks and probably should have been in jail but aren't. Same as the probably much higher rate of people who receive far too harsh a sentence for their crimes.

Every state, "blue" and "red", has a sizeable prison population in this country. I'm not getting this idea of where we are soft on crime anywhere.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

DC has a lot of shootings. Most of those shootings are teenagers in gangs. For what is being said to be true, one would need to be arresting these teenagers in middle school before they committed a crime, using pre-cogs from Minority Report. It was teenagers this year. It was teenagers 8 years ago. These aren't the same individuals.