Reliving the Coaching Search

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 25, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And Gillepsie had to sue and only got half his buyout.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

In the entirety of that nonsensical coaching search, the most nonsensical thing that happened was Tennessee seriously considering Dave Doeren

5. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

That's how I felt at the time and feel even stronger about now.

justingroves likes this.
  6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Doeren basically pooped his pants after Vol Twitter went after him once his name surfaced.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He went doeren before leach.

Just flip those and leach is your coach and Currie is here.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I just politely (and candidly) told him that we did not want him, and that he would not be happy here. A couple of hours later he was no longer a candidate. You’re welcome.

9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Great point. Currie was a [uck fay]ing idiot. He was more incompetent at his job than Butch was at his.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

That SOB was strutting around the Bahamas thinking he had his man

A-Smith likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

I don't know who, but at some point someone in the AD just went into sabotage Currie mode.

I could have lived with Gundy or Brohm. But Doeren? I was interested when he ran the table with NIU, but quickly realized he was a flash in the pan once he got to NC State.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gundy is vastly overrated in my opinion. He's just white trash

Tenacious D and Memtownvol like this.
  13. CardinalVol

He'd be here like he is at OK State. We'd be a consistent 8-10 win team that would flirt with more every now and then only to have out hearts broken.

He grew a mullet just to piss off his kid. I approve.

14. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

I can't remember who it was but it was quite a few people in the AD that leaked it cause they were pissed.

Their efforts were greatly appreciated!

15. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

So arrogant, so tone deaf.

Currie should have figured out a way to make it crystal clear from Day 1 that Gruden wasn’t happening. And, if Gruden loved UT as much as he says he does, he would have killed the rumors as well.

Even a solid, proven, winning head coach would have been met with disappointment and groaning at the height of Grudenmania.

But [uck fay]ing Greg Schiano, out of nowhere? GTFO.

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

dude’s won 10 games a year at a place that hasn’t won shit in basically forever. If you’ve been to Oklahoma City you understand the accomplishment.

17. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

yeah and he went all rogue with the list names like Doreen and Leach. I mean cmon those are guys for 2nd tier SEC programs.
    I'm not saying Pruitt is the right answer but at least you can see his football acumen is like 10 times those guys, that's why I have a little hope for him. Our guys(especially secondary and linebackers) look more like SEC players than we've had in like a decade around here.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

leach is a far better coach than doreen

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's only won 10 or more games six times in 15 years

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

obviously Gundy wouldn’t have been first choice but after they tried to cram Schiano down our throats he looked a lot better to me.

same with Leach, I mean, I appreciate the guy and what he’s done but there’s a ceiling there.... but after all that Currie crap he looked pretty good too.