Samsung Galaxy s5 vs Apple iphone 5s

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Aug 12, 2014.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

While it's harder, it isn't stronger. Makes more sense for watches than phones in my opinion. It may be strong enough to avoid cracking often when phones are dropped - don't know. But maybe scratching is more of an issue than cracking in apple's eyes.

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Gravity is a serial killer of iphones. It is also a money making machine to replace the glass. The harder glass is scratch resistant, but the harder material allows much less flexability when the phone is dropped.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

There are, apparently, rumors that the iPhone 6 will have wifi charging ability ... is this true? If so, will be a game changer. I will switch.

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Truth hurts

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I assume you mean wireless charging which isn't the same as charging over Wi-Fi. It's just another name for Inductive Charging.

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

You're right ... just researched it. Whoever the idiot on the radio was said it was wifi charging. I'm familiar with near field magnetic resonance ... looks like apple has had success at non-touch distances of up to 1 meter.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Something android has had for a while. Just saying.

9. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I have the S5 and like it, with that, I'll be checking out the iPhone6

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Another phone supposedly worth checking out is the LG G3.

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Does anyone use the wireless charger for the galaxy s5? If so, do you like it?

12. TennTradition

A guy I went to grad school with invented a solar cell that consists of particles that absorb non-visible radiation and then transfer the energy to electron flow. Basically this means he can coat solar cells onto any surface AND they're see-through. His company is called Ubiquitous.

He has a host of phones, tablets, and e-readers that he has coated with them and you can't tell. The power isn't enough to prevent ever having to charge the phone or tablets but it does extend battery life. The e-reader requires much less power and can actually power itself.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

does he need investors?

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

agreed.

15. TennTradition

I'm not sure what phase of funding his startup is in or who is already in bed with him, but I bet the answer is yes. He won the Lemelson-MIT prize in 2012 which have him the seed money to start the company. I think he's raised 8 million now. I don't know where the valuation and risk stand in order to suggest whether that is approaching max investment for current potential of return.

16. TennTradition

Apparently he was only up to 70% transmission of visible light last year, which is plenty to cost windows of buildings. But you need 80-90% for displays. Apparently he's done that because I just read an article in MIT Technilogy Review where the guy said he held the devices in his hands and he couldn't tell the difference between coated and non-coated.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Ended up with the galaxy s5. Digging it so far. I've never used an android KS before so there's a little bit of a learning curve.

18. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

I got the galaxy s5 Friday before last. I really like this phone so far.

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Looks like the Iphone 6 Plus is rather pliable and not by design.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I wonder how Apple will respond to this. Use a case is what they'll most likely say.