Santorum: If abortion becomes illegal, doctors should face criminal charges

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Oct 4, 2011.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Best wishes, future fathers. Sorry to hear about your troubles droski and NYY.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Thanks. Sucked greatly at the time. But we're better because of it now.

3. volinbham

volinbham Member

Sorry to hear NYY.

4. WM

WM Active Member

Starting to get the when are we going to shoot for the next one comments. It's just going by too fast, it seems like we were sitting in first parent classes yesterday.

5. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

I have three and wife lost one between my oldest and middle child. She was upset for days, but all I could do to comfort her was tell her that things happen for a reason that sometimes we dont understand.

Good luck to all the expectant mothers and fathers.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

haha, man that sounds exactly like me... everyone says the same to me about father/daughter. Dating stuff is not something I'm excited about, but I guess it's just part of it. I was considered a good guy and was still a giant perv.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I still have those perverted thoughts.

8. volinbham

volinbham Member

That's what future sleep overs are all about. Invite us and we'll only think perverted about the ones that aren't your daughters...

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Have a little girl myself. My uncle gave me a good one liner for when that first boyfriend comes home: "Boy, I've been to prison once, and I ain't afraid to go back".

10. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

My dad told my little sister's first boyfriend that his mother would cry herself to sleep for the rest of her life after what he would do to him if he tried anything with my sister.

I wanted to laugh, but I sincerely believed him. I know that little punk had to as well.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

My thread has been ruined. RUINED.

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

By a bunch of fertile bastages.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Sorry- turned into a dad therapy session.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I guess I never understood what the scientific conundrum is here. Immediately after conception you've got a cell with a distinct genetic code and the process is underway. If all goes well there absolutely will be a fully developed human. You can't say the same about a germ cell, which is why IMO contraception isn't morally wrong. A fetus also can't be a part of the woman's body because it has a completely distinct genetic code. And as for the "living tissue but not a life" comment, how does that make sense? I guess if you applied it to tissue grown in a lab or something, maybe, and as for a fetus' ability to choose, it isn't any less capable of choosing than a 3-month-old. I just don't see how there is any argument for a fetus being anything but a human life, and that's one of the things a limited-government person does want government to do, protect human life.\

But back the OP, yeah, I think ex-post-facto law enforcement is a terrible idea. God only knows where it would end.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It depends on what you define a human as. To me, a human isn't a "distinct genetic code." Also, if a fertilized embryo is a human, then what does that mean concerning embyros that don't attach the uterine wall? Are there actually hundreds of millions of deaths a year we don't currently count? I don't think so. All because something something is "in motion" doesn't mean it is a done deal.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't think the possibility of a pregnancy terminating justifies intentionally ending it.

17. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ectopic pregnancy shouldn't result in full development. At the point at which the fetus is fully developed, I support being recognized as "human." It is not a person, however.

Philosophically ambiguous as abortion is, there are several terms which must be considered, none of which are concrete in all settings.

At conception, there is not human life. A dividing embryo is not human, even though it may eventually become such, as IPO has already stated.

A fetus is not a person, even though it may become one, again, along the same lines of cell progression as IPO as noted. At the same time, I have difficulty considering a two month old baby, someone with severe mental dysfunction and an individual in a coma state that is unlikely to recover, a "person." But, I don't support the ability to kill a two month old baby, severely mentally challenged, or those in coma at the whims of individuals.

A baby may become a person, when it is capable of making its own choices. Those in a coma may have been a person, and may become a person yet again, should they orientate back to reality. It is unlikely that the severely mentally challenged will ever reverse course. But at the point that they are, frozen in time, they are not a "person," and it is still unacceptable to dispatch them, even if it requires a "vessel" to keep them alive: feeding, caring by the mother; feeding, caring by medical staff.

So, in my mind, it doesn't come down to whether something is human (many against abortion have no problem with the death penalty, in general, because that individual has given up their rights, forcefully or willing) or whether someone is indeed a person (death penalty, war, etc).

What it comes down to is this: Do you support abortion? Anything else is just a rationalization.

For me, I support abortion.

I can rationalize as such: It is self-defense. I support the ability to kill in self-defense. Whether it is called a person, fetus, human, Bigfoot or Bambi makes no difference.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You spoke eloquently and at length about a variety of topics, but not this last bit. Kind of vague. At what point do you consider it defense?

19. Vader

Vader New Member

I am really sorry to hear this, man

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think the existence of a pregnancy justifies it being immoral to terminate it.