Sarah Palin: How We Baptize Terrorists

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Surely you view Obama in very similar terms. He's every bit the ideologue Palin is. Each is the worst kind of politico. Took special circumstances to get the clown elected. Took a stupid and freeloading populace to re-elect.

2. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

I can agree with this

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They will say whatever they think will stop the torture
    You won't know what is truth or not. Pretty sure that is the opinion of most experts, but am mobile

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

http://www.newsweek.com/neurosciencetorture-doesnt-work-and-heres-why-79365

http://phys.org/news/2012-03-interrogational-torture-effective-purely-sadistic.html

http://onviolence.com/?e=69

Can it be effective? Of course. But at what cost? What happens when you torture someone that is innocent? Or doesn't know anything? Again, it isn't hard to see that it is ineffective, immoral and does more harm than good.

NOTE: Again, I am a laymen in this and have not read any deep reports or studies on it. Also, Michael Westen said it many times in Burn Notice, so it has to be true!

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I would agree that the effectiveness of torture when extended over a long period would be ineffective. If done immediately after capture, however, it can produce solid, actionable, intelligence. It is my understanding that waterboarding, and the like, are used very selectively for high value, time sensitive intelligence. Sleep deprivation and other long term methods are used when ongoing intelligence is needed to weave together the truth from multiple intelligence sources.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Isolation isn't torture, imo. Just throwing that in there.

Sleep deprivation probably is, but it isn't intrusive and I don't object to it as a tool, as long as there is responsible oversight.

I'm quite certain waterboarding is torture.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Who is going to come out and say torture works? Once again, things don't last thousands of years if they are ineffective.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

How many witches and warlockes do you think existed in Medieval Europe?

If you tortured me, I'd admit to voting for Romney and swear to vote for Santorum within 10 minutes.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

And that stopped what 200 years ago?

You'd do that as well if you were being interrogated for 36 hours straight

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree. Hell, sleep deprivation alone would get me after 36 hours.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You keep saying it "works" and people keep using it as a result of its effectiveness, but does it really mean that it does when the person only gets the result they desired? If people use it and hear what they want to hear, then of course they believe it works.

And there are plenty of people around the world who still believe in witches, warlocks and other nonsensical mystical crap.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All you'd have to do is threaten to tear masking tape and I'd tell you all you ever wanted to know and then more.

13. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Horseshit. He was a constitutional law professor at the U. of Chicago and an attorney after leaving Harvard, while then becoming a state senator. Meanwhile, Palin was bouncing around from college to community college before getting a degree in communications (like nearly half the football team does) and then was a sportscaster for a local tv station in Alaska. Nowhere in the sane world is her pre-political life comparable to Obama's no matter the bullshit right wing nonsensical spin on the issue.

Obama has an understanding of the things he talks about, but comes to conclusions and ideas you don't agree with. Palin has no idea what the **** she's even talking about.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this assumes that the guy taking the information doesn't understand his ability to bias your information.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I concede that there is probably ways to work a subject under torture that mitigate a certain amount of leading, but I'd claim responsibility for 9/11 if I'm being suffocated or maimed.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He was an adjunct law professor, neighborhood rabble rouser and professional politician. That's freaking impressive.

Let me avoid law professors who haven't practiced at any appreciable level, thanks.

Obama doesn't know the first damn thing about economics and there's no debate about it. He knows politics, votes and polling. Presumably he know some law, but his grades likely reflect only passably.

I will grant him that he's a good public speaker when he has canned presentation materials. I won't give him that he can think.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he'd factor in the gape in your vagina

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Me too. But the people being interrogated were also trained to withstand certain forms of it too.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You are acting like the information isn't verifiable. You think if they kept getting bad info they'd continue the practice?

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the people getting quality information damn sure aren't talking about it.