SCOTUS to Rule on Union: Could be "Radical" Change

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's used quite often all over the state.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I know the elements of unconscionability. Again, it depends on your hypo. If employee "x" is performing well at other aspects of his job and employer intends to enforce a provision requiring him to join some organization as the basis for termination, I think you have no chance at all of that being enforced by the Court. None.

3. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Where do you get the idea there are no jury trial rights in chancery court?

4. RevBubbaFlavel

So the term requiring membership is, out of necessity, what makes it unconscionable?

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

In probate matters. I'm wrong about civil cases where they have concurrent jurisdiction with circuit. That's my mistake. Where did you get the idea that Circuit courts aren't used for criminal matters?

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If that's the sole basis for your termination of the agreement, it will not withstand a challenge.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

And, I still don't think a purely equitable cause of action carries a right to jury trial in Tennessee.

8. RevBubbaFlavel

Based on what? Unconscionability? If so, which type and how does it fit the elements?

9. RevBubbaFlavel

Of course. I mean you don't get a jury when you try to get an injunction. But you can get an injunction in Circuit.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

According to my, admittedly limited, understanding of contract law, there would be procedural unconscionability because of the lack of meaningful choice, which would require proof of the vast difference in bargaining positions as to employee vs. employer. And there would be substantive unconscionability because making you join a gym or a golf club or some other type of membership is unduly harsh and probably against public policy to fire employees on that basis. So, that would be my argument, and I'm also quite sure that there are other equitable causes of action that fit this scenario possibly better than unconscionability, but I don't have the motivation to actually do research on this.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

True.

12. RevBubbaFlavel

That is fair - as I have said there are going to be exceptions, obviously.
    But the point is that unconscionability and/or other equitable remedies are not going to be found simply because there is a clause to join something. It just like other clauses that are allowed - arbitration agreements, pay schemes, no smoking clauses, etc. Those are all allowed although they may be disallowed if there is something else within the bargaining or agreement itself that raises issues that may require equitable relief.
    There is nothing per se unconscionable about an arbitration agreement just as there is nothing per se unconscionable about an agreement to join an organization.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I'm just waiting for Matlock to get the real killer to admit it under oath on the witness stand in this thread. That and Tyler Hudson, Conrad McMasters and/or Cliff Lewis getting in trouble while investigating the case. Are either of you (Law or Rev) wearing a blue leisure type looking suit right now?