SCOTUS to Rule on Union: Could be "Radical" Change

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't see how they can claim that individual monies are not protected by the First Amendment, given their recent ruling on corporate campaign contributions.

Then there's this gem, of Scalia putting the smackdown on Justice Sotomayor, and from the bench, no less:

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

A pretty tennous stretch there by Scalia. The union actively works to garner benefits and better conditions for the worker paying the fees, so where does Planned Parenthood work directly on behalf of a worker? I see the merits of ending the closed shop being forced by the government (and, especially, the arguments against), but Scalia's point isn't the same.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

fair share fees are utter crap. I can't believe other courts have thrown it out. Independent workers, or dependent for that matter, should absolutely be able to operate independent of the blood suckers.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

why in the hell, even if it's beneficial to the worker, should he or she not have the option?

His point would be that freedom of speech on a topic certainly doesn't have any relation to compelling one to pay for either side of the argument. The debate over value to the individual is immaterial to the analogy.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Antonin Scalia is my homeboy.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've always wonder how SAG gets away with this. you can't earn a dime as an actor before paying the union fees.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not a fan, surprising, I know.

But forced union dues are BS. If you want to join, join. If not, you shouldn't be forced to join.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah this isn't rocket science. If you don't want to pay for the union, you shouldn't be forced too.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Unions aren't government organizations, right? If so, I don't see the 1st Amendment issue, either. Unless government mandates these fees, how is it a Constitutional question?

10. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

The quote from Scalia does not make sense and I believe it is a misquote.

"You're essentially destroying not just the ... shop, but you're destroying the ability of the union to get money even from the people who don't agree with what it's doing," Justice Antonin Scalia told the plaintiff's attorney.

It only makes sense if the "don't" is changed to "do"

11. RevBubbaFlavel

The rub comes from the fact that these are public employees.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Ah, in that case I see the issue.

13. RevBubbaFlavel

Why? There are a lot of conditions of employment that require an employee to spend money on items, sometimes on things an employee does not wish to spend money.

14. RevBubbaFlavel

Yeah, but it seems sort of a reach. We know that the employment context with state workers does not allow for the same free speech rights as a person has outside of the employment context. There are a whole host of restriction on speech, expression, association, etc.
    What the plaintiff has to do here is show that even if they are not contributing to the political coffers of the union that even the negotiations of working conditions, pay, etc constitutes some sort of political expression, since political expression will be afforded a higher degree of protection.

15. RevBubbaFlavel

Looks like Scalia supports the state and the union here.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

this is hardly like buying a new suit for work. and there are some professions where literally the entire profession is required to join a union. so it's not just a case of "if you don't want to join a union go to a different company."

17. RevBubbaFlavel

Yeah, so? There are many employers who require their employees to be members of organizations. There are many more who "encourage" membership.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  18. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I agree, as long as the independents are left to fend for themselves. They should get zero benefits from something they don't pay for.

19. hatvol96

As long as those who don't pay are barred from access to benefits negotiated by the union, I agree.

20. hatvol96

It's easy. The studios realize the vast majority of stars are on board with SAG and wouldn't do projects with scabs. Look how well replacement players worked for MLB.