SDS: "Will Jones win a championship at UT?"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 21, 2014.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

So the big question is what does progress look like this year?

Does he have to win 2 games he isn't supposed to? According to preason reports he will have to at least win one he's not supposed to just to get to a bowl game.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BTW, a bowl game at least is a must this year. If we didn't have such a terrible situation at QB I might expect more

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll know it when I see it. I'm not sure I can define it.

4. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Progress for me will be in the end wins vs losses. Bowl will be progress and 7-5 will be major improvement. To do that we have to upset more than one team this year and win the ones of course that we are supposed to win.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He loses to vandy again, he can gtfo.

Any football coach employed by the university of Tennessee loses to vandy more than once, he should be fired for cause on the spot, no buyout.

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I like it. Should be put in writing.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I dunno I'm more in the I'll know it when I see it camp. I'd like to base it on wins and losses, but with where this team is, I'm not sure that's fair. It's like my golf game. Sometimes I feel like my score isn't an ultimate indicator of how I hit the ball (yeah I'm that bad)

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I agree.
    A significant step would be 7 wins.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Should be a constant in any contract drafted. Along with KY

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

As it stands right now, I say no

11. BigOrangeBeech

If he gets to a bowl game he likely has a win against one of either UF or Mizzou.

It would be progress in that it was better than last year and we'd be going to a bowl for the first time since 2010.

I think 6 wins however still doesn't give a definite answer on Butch long term.

7 wins and I am feeling pretty decent about the future.

5-7 again, I won't be completely out on Butch but pretty close. Would want to see significant staff changes. At least the coordinator positions.

As groves said, if he goes 4-8 and loses to Vandy he's done.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

For me, get to a bowl game and win.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

With Jancek & Bajakian, not just no, but hell no. I think Jones is a helluva recruiter/motivator/seller of the program. Those attributes can win you a lot of games, but they don't guarantee championships. He needs great coordinators to complete the formula. Jancek & Bajakian are far from great.

I would love to be served a triple helping of crow though.

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is exactly where I am. I think it comes down to his staff on whether he wins big or not.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Just to play devils advocate do you think Jimbo had a home run staff last year? Or did talent win that trophy?

16. JayVols

Had a lot of talent mostly.From what I've seen so far, the difference in their less than stellar staff and ours is that their staff was at least smart enough to accentuate their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Ours, particularly on offense, did the exact opposite last year, imo.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Can't disagree with that.

18. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Bajakian will prove to be a top 3 OC in the SEC.

19. JayVols

He put you at QB?

No no no. He put you at scatback.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Its illegal to have that much speed on the field.