SDS: "Will Jones win a championship at UT?"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Aug 21, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/butch-jones-championship-tennessee-2014/

Emphasis mine. That is the question I worry about, if we don't turn it around this season with a winning record.

I liked this gem:

2. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

3. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

4. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

not with his current staff, unless they've been pretending to suck for their careers.

6. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

He needs a bowl game (at least) this year to keep the momentum going, and he needs to really examine his assistants and determine whether they are really the best options at their positions.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes. I refuse to believe otherwise.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Don't claim to know one way or the other but one is almost pulling against the other in a sense. While winning 6 or 7 this year keeps up the positive recruiting mo, it may also tell Jones he can stick with his staff because its progressing. Im in the "no" group with his staff as it sits. I think he can recruit the talent capable and he can lead the charge as the HC but as BPV has stated his Lt's leave a lot to be desired IMO.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It's not just recruiting mo. He needs to convince the team that they can win.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is why the auburn and Mizzou games sucked so bad for me. The team quit. I'm betting the 2014 team doesn't but if they do, there's trouble for Butch.

I know Jancek sucks and I'm pretty sure Bajakian is nothing special but coordinators can be replaced.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We aren't talking about national championships are we, maybe SEC east

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not ready to answer. Let me see how this season goes, and if needed, will he make staff changes?

13. Beechervol

That's true.

Its helping that the roster is almost completely flipped. Most of these guys haven't been around to have the nasty rub off on em yet.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

This reminds me of my favorite Onion headline ever;

"God answers prayers of paralyzed little boy 'Will I ever walk again', says no"

15. Beechervol

I think he has it in him. The question is how proactive will it be. Will he wait til he's on the hot seat, or does he try and make changes before it gets that far.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Still a bit early to tell. Let's see if year two is better than year one.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If it takes getting to the hot seat before you are willing to make changes, the answer is without a doubt, "no".

Year 2 always tells the tale about coaches. Do we exceed expectations and take a major step forward? That's what it boils down to this year for me.

18. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Exactly where I am.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Truth.

By the time the seat is hot, it's about to be pulled out from under you.