Severe Weather Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

McEwen TN has had almost 16 inches of rain in the last 18 hours. Not sure of death totals but do know there have been some.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Noticed a lot of flooded fields right before we crossed the Duck a couple hours ago

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ida looking to be a significant problem for Louisiana. Forecast has been pointing there for days. But I’m not sure NOLA really got the message until today.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

they aren't taking it seriously. there is real potential for significant damage.

5. CardinalVol

Ida got real strong real fast. Holy moly.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

seems like this has happened with every hurricane south of Cape hatteras as it prepares to make is landfall the last several years. they strengthen significantly right before landfall

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah but it's smaller than Katrina and moving fairly fast. Reminds me more of Charlie, the one that hit sw Florida.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This is not accurate now. It has slowed to a crawl. I saw one of the weathermen on CNN say they started forecasting that last night. May dump 2 feet of rain on New Orleans now.

9. CardinalVol

In laws are riding it out in Baton Rouge. Both wife and I think they've lost their minds.

fl0at_ likes this.
  10. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Don’t know their situation and I’ve never been through it but I feel like if I had the means I’d just book a hotel in Dallas or Birmingham or wherever was sufficiently out of the storms path and make a mini vacation of it.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

ever US cat 5 landfall was a tropical storm 72 hours prior. that needs to be household knowledge because many think riding it out is fine and then regret it too late.

12. CardinalVol

They could have just come here had they wanted.

Best part is they've got a canal less that 100 feet from their back porch.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Jefferson parish levee is topped, the whole parish may be flooded shortly

14. CardinalVol

Update - the worst missed them. They got off easy actually. Got an inch of rain and got up to 60 mph winds, but they've got a shelter room in their house, slept in there last night and are fine. They even have power.

justingroves likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One of my wife's best friends lives in Baton Rouge, they got some wind and that is it.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You forget how crazy native Louisianians are

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't realize it either until I saw someone post it on twitter and I looked it up to confirm. And I follow this stuff a lot for someone who has never lived on a coast that gets hurricanes. Saw another article pointing out that it takes 72 hours minimum to evacuate a city properly. E.g., it is not possible to know whether you have a major hurricane landfall or not in the window of time you have to make that decision. definitely a challenge to be solved.

justingroves likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

19. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

20. CardinalVol

She has arrived in east TN.