Shark Week

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We went reef fishing this summer and had 5 big lemon sharks all around the boat eating all the fish till I caught one.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I saw a good sized lemon right after I stopped snorkeling at Cococay last October. No sharks on my dive in St. Maarten, but we saw a bunch of barracuda and a moray eel. One of the 'cudas was freaking huge. My instructor said it was the biggest she'd ever seen. Bastage snuck up behind me. Had no idea until she alerted me.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've been in some bad situations in my life, but nothing has ever scared me like that. I know that there's a 99.99% chance that it was just swimming by minding it's own business, but all I could think was that it was going to eat my leg.

I've had several run-ins with wild life in Hilton Head. One year my wife and I were caught in a swarm/flock/shitload of stingrays moving up the coast. We stood in the water for five minutes while they swam all around us. Another year we basically had the same thing happen with cannonball jellyfish. We were out where the waves were breaking and next thing we knew, there were hundreds of them in the water. The lifeguards cleared the water in both situations.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

We went to Great Exuma Bahamas. It was really nice.

5. JayVols

The Caribbean is perhaps one place I could be content to live if I was forced to leave my homeplace. I can't stress enough the magnitude of that statement coming from me. My roots run to the magma underneath my farm.

That water.....it's definitely a happy place for me.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

One of the best commercials I've seen in a while.

7. KingWebbsticles

KingWebbsticles Chieftain

"Shark! Shark! It's a big ass shark!"

8. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Not really digging the parts we have seen so far. Seems commercialized x10 and not enough action, imo.

9. JayVols

Shark Week has jumped the shark?

10. ramblin

ramblin New Member

It does seem a bit staged or something different this year so far. Almost like a bad reality TV show.

11. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

I don't need that guy sitting on the couch like Regis. And those Cajun guys that acted as if they were about to find the voodoo shark was just odd and seemed as if taken from some reality shows. The promo shows a shark jumping out of the water to snag a pet seal, but watching them tag a shark last night as it did nothing but swim back and forth for an hour wasn't great tv.
    Maybe they are going to get better as the week goes on.

12. Oldvol75

When we played Hawaii in 1975, JAWS had came out that summer. Anytime I went in the water, all I could hear was Da,da, Da,da, the JAWS theme.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Off topic, but there was a series that came on CSS about 10 years ago and each episode followed a different season. 95% of the episode about '75 was interviewing players on the beach asking what they thought about Hawaii. It was hilarious.

14. Oldvol75

I was interviewed but I don't know if it ever aired. My family and I watched the show once and my wife picked me right out from behind as I walked aboard the Arizona. That is still the most humbling experience that I have ever had.