Simmons and ESPN part ways

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, May 8, 2015.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Yeah. It ****ing blows.

2. GahLee

I'm a sucker for holding the door for somone. Doesn't matter who it is, I always do it. When we go to Iowa/Missouri to visit her family I get strange looks when I do it. People aren't used to that sort of thing there I guess.

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

And Mike Tirico does?

4. kidbourbon

I have emissions issues regularly.

5. kidbourbon

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like a strange combo given the fact they have no real online newspaper or podcast presence. i'd be interested to know how much they are paying him.

7. kidbourbon

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

9. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If HBO pays him ten mil, I will enjoy watching them go broke.

10. kidbourbon

I found another site saying 5 million but then it supported that figure by linking to a NYT article that didn't have any salary information. 5 million does sound more reasonable. I'd be surprised if it's below that.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you'd think foxsports or yahoo could offer more. $5 mil means he got no raise from espn.

12. GahLee

He'd still be at or near the top of his profession.

13. kidbourbon

Again, I have no idea, though, and it appears no one else does either. Numbers are tossed out without support.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd bet hbo paid him more. or at least gave him ownership of certain venues.

15. kidbourbon

HBO strikes me as having the ability to pay more. As massive as ESPN is, I think they are a bit concerned with the future of the business model and are trying to get fiscally leaner.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ESPN can obviously afford it, but a subscription model makes content more important than one based on carrier fees. ESPN just wants to keep the lights on and not piss people off enough to cut the cord. HBO needs notable product and people that can drive people to subscribe. edit: i'm still surprised yahoo or foxsports wouldn't want him for the non tv media properties.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

ESPN doesn't have to spend it to attract or retain viewers/subscribers.

18. kidbourbon

True

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The day they have to do that is coming. Soon. It's why they are getting rid of everyone making a lot of money they can replace with a new hire making 50K.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Agreed. Competition is now piling up.