Smokers (BBQ variety)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 26, 2015.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Didn't get to cook any this weekend, my wifes grandad passed last Fri. We buried him yesterday. Should have a pretty good one on the 4th.

2. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Keep scrolling dn ...

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Nothing quite like it. Those Samoans were onto something.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ah that makes sense. thanks for the info

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the big green egg uses a water pan too no? I've never understood the complaints about the water pan. it's really not that big of a pain to clean if you foil it completely first and the water keeps the food from drying out. lots of people also take out water and use a ceramic disk as a heat sink.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

got it. my bad

7. Beechervol

Yep.
    Ive known people that tried that method (direct fire). After a few hours and fat dripping on the flame, everything ended up well done.

8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I don't mind the water pan either. I foiled it for a few years, then just said screw it. It can get a little funky in there at the end of a long cook, but whatever.

9. Beechervol

More than one way to skin a cat really.

A lot of what works depends on what you are used to and knowing how it really works. That and how much you are actually trying to cook. My biggest cooking happens every Sept for my church. Its normally 200 pounds of Shoulder or Butt.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah I just do it because it's easier to clean that way. I got some nasty stuff that wouldn't come off before I started foiling.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You are coming to Mair-vul to show me how to do this properly.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I understand the water keeping the meat from drying out is a myth. It is mostly a heat sink to keep the temperature from spiking.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

for my kids first bday I did 60 pounds of butt on my 18.5 weber smoker. WAY more than I needed and I gave away a ton too. Turned out great. I'd be nice to have the extra room of the 22.5 though.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it certainly isn't needed for something naturally moist like ribs or a butt. I find it helpful for brisket because the bottom can get a little dry otherwise on vertical smokers. you are right though it's almost 100% heat sink and heat barrier. it's more of a personal preference though. you'll find just as many people who use water and don't for the WSM.

15. Beechervol

Butts are hard to screw up as long as you don't cook too hot and the meat has good fat content.
    Ribs can be tendered well with apple juice.
    Chicken is more peculiar. Butter, Butter, and more Butter while cooking.

Some small notes no matter what you cook on.

16. Beechervol

Thats awesome.

If its good its better to have too much. At least thats what everybody has told me.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Never tried a butt.

Always use apple juice when cooking ribs. Always. I usually keep a bottle sprayer with with and spray it every half hour to 45 minutes.

Did not know that about chicken. Will keep in mind.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I use it to slowly release a small amount of moisture into my bark.

I've noticed the bark on smoked meats always tastes better when I use the water pan. Especially when I mix in some Apple Cider Vinegar and Worchestershire.

19. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Honestly apple juice with anything pork is a winner.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

as beech said. butts have to be the easiest thing to bbq there is. very hard to screw it up.