Smokers (BBQ variety)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, May 26, 2015.

1. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

They are virtually impossible to screw up.

I'm currently messing with pork loins as they're much lower fat content and more difficult to infuse flavor deep in the center-cut.

I've gotten some good remarks but I'm a perfectionist so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd eat them up.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If you screw that up just quit and go buy some.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pretty much on my electric smoker right now all I will ever cook is ribs and chicken. And I usually just baste the chicken in whatever sauce I am using. When I do ribs, it's a dry rub recipe that I've tinkered with. SPray them all the time.

4. Beechervol

Im a fan of covering meat to let it finish cooking as well.

Normally if you dry anything out it comes at the end of the process. If you pan and cover your meat the last 25% of your cooking time you will save moisture.

5. Beechervol

Sauce and Rub is where the real BBQ science is to me.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a hell of a fire that water won't put out.

7. CardinalVol

My native roots come out when discussing ribs. Dry rub only when I am cooking. If you don't like it, go elsewhere.

8. Beechervol

Yep. Reminds me of tires or fiberglass burning.

9. Beechervol

Ole WTN dry rub.

Ive tried both and enjoy both when I got the mixes right.

Im kind of a melting pot when it comes to sauce.

10. CardinalVol

One of my old pastors has one of the best tire burning stories I've ever heard. He accidentally caused a fire that burned for 2 weeks in a landfill.

11. CardinalVol

I'll eat either. And eat a lot of either. Just prefer dry rub when cooking.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't run into regional preferences in California :). I like to sauce my ribs at the end. for butt or brisket i'll have some bbq sauce on the side for those who want it, but I usually eat it and cook it dry though i'll baste with apple sauce or water and Worcestershire during cooking.

13. Beechervol

My best 2 fire stories included my granny, my uncle, a trash barrel, a threatened fine, a guaranteed ass whippin, and my granny using a "dirty" word.

Memories.

14. Beechervol

Im smack dab in the middle of "preference ally". I take a little of all of em.

15. CardinalVol

My best fire story is the time my dad didn't listen to me and burned our entire field in a brush fire that got a tad bit out of control. Had to call out the forrestry department to put it out. One of the very few times in life I got to say "I told you so" to him. How he didn't kill me on the spot when I said that I'll never know, but probably because my mom was standing there laughing too hard at him.

16. CardinalVol

Surprised you are smoking tofu out there.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

thankfully there has been a bit of a backlash to the vegan *******s. it's all about farm to table and grass fed beef these days. is hard to find a full packer brisket out here though.

18. CardinalVol

There's a niche market here that serves grass fed and such, and while more expensive, there is a difference is taste. I can tell.

I also hardly ever eat brisket.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I prefer grain fed steak taste wise, but my wife has gotten insane.

For shame!

20. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I had grassfed beef about a month ago and it's amazing how different the textures and flavors are.

I'm grassfed all the way now.