So much for separation of Church and State

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by g8terh8ter_eric, Nov 18, 2015.

1. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

I was talking with one of my clients employees today, and she informed me that Tennessee now has a book in 4th grade Geography that kids must learn about Islam and the Koran in class, and I couldn't believe it. She told me they even try and portray Islam as a religion of peace and good will in this study, you know the same religion that shames women that have been raped and give permission to her family to perform an honor killing.

Has anyone here seen or heard of this in the curriculum? I've seen some things about middle school students in Maury County having to learn not only about Islam, but Buddhism and Hinduism as well.

Learning about the history of an area is one thing, but having the kids delve into the religion shouldn't be part of the curriculum at all.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I might take that info with a grain of salt and huge dose of skepticism.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

No.

4. g8terh8ter_eric

It's been confirmed bpv, but I was just wondering if any of the teachers on the board had seen it yet?

http://www.snopes.com/islam-tennessee-school/

5. g8terh8ter_eric

Interesting. It's supposed to be on the TCAP.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I went to catholic school and learned about Hinduism and Islam. . .

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't at all get the 5 pillars thing. Interesting.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It's a basic high level study of all the world's major religions that go into the background of the different eras in history. It's on the state website. Of course, we hear Islam or muslim and automatically think it's some crazy indoctrination process. I'm guessing they cover Judaism and Christianity too. And it's 7th grade.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I've taught Islam before in my class and the Five Pillars are a pretty basic element of teaching the religion, kind of like when I go over the trinity in the Early Christianity unit. I've only gotten blow back once, when this real obnoxious kid pitched a fit while we were watching a video of a pilgrimage to Mecca (By National Geographic) and yelling "I don't want to see this. I don't like them people." Meanwhile, I had 2-3 Muslim girls in the class, so I laid into him pretty good and, after school, listened to his mom rant about the devil religion of Islam. I told them I didn't care what their beliefs were, but they will be tested on the same material as anyone else in the class. Otherwise, teaching Islam wasn't that difficult. It's fairly similar to Christianity in its structure and core tenets, so it translates well. Hinduism and Buddhism were far more challenging.

10. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Yeah I'm having a hard time seeing why this is a big deal.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

A basic review of the major religions seems pertinent to me. The world grows smaller each passing day; more knowledge about it is a good thing.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

From your link:

I went to school in Tennessee, and I remember touching on the world's religions then too. Not a deal at all. What kind of education doesn't include learning about the second largest religion in the world?

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Don't see much to get upset about here, it's basic knowledge, not indoctrination.

14. g8terh8ter_eric

I guess I'm curious though, for the Christians on this site, would it be something that would concern you if your child had to write The Shahada in class, especially given the conflict in ideology that presents to them and their faith? I think that's what I mostly take issue with, is that its OK to write these things down that conflict with their own beliefs, but its not OK for them to pray or read their Bible. I'm not trying to make this about Christianity vs. everyone else, but considering the vast majority of kids in these schools are raised or taught in some various Christian denomination, this seems like its more about introducing unwanted ideology(s) to them, than to teach some form of history. I mean, you can teach them about how Islam clashed with other religions and how this caused wars, but getting specific into Islam seems very close to doing something that they are trying to keep out of the schools in the first place. I'm probably being a bit nitpicky, I'm sure, but that's just what I see.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It is OK for the students to pray and read their Bible.

My question is, are you afraid of it? If so, why? If your children are that unsure in their faith that a 2 day class on Buddhism in their classroom (just teaching the history and basic tenets, not actually sitting and meditating on non-self or prostrating before a statue of the Buddha), then ask yourself how strong their faith really is.

Would you be opposed to them reading about Communism, writing the basic tenets of it even though it goes against them being raised in a Capitalistic society?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I want my children to learn as much as possible. A basic introduction to the world outside of their town/school is fine with me. I enjoyed learning about that stuff when I was in school.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I'm ok with my kids learning about all major religions. Christianity, of course, because it's True. And the rest, for levity, because it's good to laugh while you learn.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I mean, who doesn't want to go pat the funny looking guy with the bald head?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd hope most would think that learning conflicting views is how you grow as a Christian

20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If their religious ideals are so fragile that learning a few basic elements of another religion will shatter their beliefs, then their religion wasn't worth a damn in the first place and deserved its demoted role in their lives.