Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

don't expect me to admire a 13-0 win in soccer. they can do what they want and justify it how they want, but in my eyes it looks about 4 goals deep into a character flaw. like airing it out and hanging 100 points on a non power 5 nonconference opponent in football. or that TX girls basketball team than ran up the score on another school a few years ago.

not saying they can't do it. just saying when their super fans thump their chest and hold it up as something to diminish the men's team... ya, no.

tvolsfan likes this.
  2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I perfectly get your explanation. I just think it’s weak and reeks of AYSO where everybody gets a participation trophy, everybody gets to play and they share orange slices after the game. Which you just don’t seem to understand.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

losing 4-0 is a butt whoopin. this isn't a participation trophy soet of margin we are talking about. and these are not all full time professionals either, in women's international soccer. that Thai goalie was so outclassed as to be rendered purely ornamental. it means nothing to score so much against a clearly completely outmatched opponent, with like the last 3 goals coming in the last 10 minutes. you can do it, but it's nothing to brag about. it's an asshole move.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Except you ignore there are plenty of unwritten rules and lines to cross in professional sports, so it isn't as if you get beyond a certain level, even beyond AYSO, and suddenly you are exempt from being told "Hey, that was kind of a [penis] move.". I think scoring a goal to make it 9-0 over the weakest team in the tournament and doing some choreographed dance qualifies.

So, again, there are no lines to cross? Anything goes?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was on the short end of a few 10-0 slaughters in HS. 10 seemed to be the unspoken number. of course, we were parking the bus by the end and putting all effort in merely stopping the ball.

but it was clear that the higher division state champs were rotating back their strikers and playing possession. part of it was things get chippy at that point. so maybe that's on Thailand for not getting some yellows down the stretch.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Regarding the Thai team, that’s not the USWNT’s problem. They don’t pick who plays in the tournament. They don’t pick their opponents.

If this is your position, take it up with FIFA, not the ladies.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

In regards to scoring in professional sports, no, there’s no lines to cross, because there’s no line.

If you’re a player and you don’t like it, either stop them or get off the field.

If you’re a fan and you don’t like, don’t watch.

Otherwise, expect there’s going to be times where there’s going to be blowouts, and all that comes with it.

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

10. Unimane

You're conflating my argument. I'm not arguing the score; its the excessive celebrations. And, there are absolutely lines to cross in that regard, especially.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't have an issue with the blowout. Celebration was, at times, over the top, but whatever.

12. Unimane

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I definitely don’t

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There's a women's world cup?

utvol0427 likes this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m not either. I said at times there’s going to be blowouts, and all that comes with it, i.e. the celebrating of their accomplishments. If that second part wasn’t originally clear, my fault.

This is big time, big money, professional sports. Athletes aren’t there for the opponent’s feelings. Their job is to win, they’re their to produce. And if they want to celebrate their winning, their production, I’m here for all of it.

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Men celebrate better than women anyways

17. Unimane

Sorry, I'm just in favor of people showing some respect in applicable situations. And, there's a difference between celebrating and making an ass of yourself. Pro sports is run by all sorts of these unwritten rules, most with good reason.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sorry, I just don’t give a shit about “unwritten rules”, player’s feelings getting hurt, or “excessive” celebrations.

I’m watching sports to be entertained. Full stop.

19. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Well Sarri left on his own, but looks like Lampard is indeed on his way.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Lampard is not ready.