Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

What is a football comparison to help me understand the significance of this?

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, I have to think, on the 60 years part, they weren't getting many teams into the Champions' League before the expansion about 20 years ago. The last 15 years is pretty remarkable. Possibly because they are a high level team, but not quite good enough to get many favorable draws in the knockout stage. The bigger teams don't seem to give a damn about Europa once they get dumped there, but Sevilla seems like exactly the type of team which would care.

3. Unimane

Think a more glorified NIT in basketball.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If you’re good enough to win the UEL you’d think there would be a few more round of 8 appearances

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Harder to beat PSG and Liverpool and Man City than it is Adkgofkfiwodkdppdkistan.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

The Europa league gets a lot tougher once you get past the round of 32, and so on and so forth

7. Unimane

True. Out of curiosity, I checked their record and who they played in the Round of 16. Here it is:

2008 - Fenerbarche
    2010 - CSKA Moscow
    2017 - Leicester City
    2018 - Manchester United (they won)

Plus, a 2016 bounce in the Round of 32 to Juventus.

Looks like they haven't much problem finishing in the top 7 in La Liga, but top 4 finishes are much more infrequent.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

Speaking of Juventus, LOL

9. JohnnyQuickkick

Dammit, knew i shouldn't have said anything

10. Unimane

The Americans in Europe have been having a hard time of it recently, although I thought Tyler Adams played well yesterday. Pulisic is in a deep funk. I think the hamstring issues have messed with his head.

11. NorrisAlan

City with 21 wins in a row in the EPL.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

Best league in the world

13. NorrisAlan

Eh. 2020-2021 is going to have a big * by it for all teams, imho.

I was surprised to see Milan at #2 in Serie A, though. When was the last time they were in the the top four this late in the season? Have they finally turned it around?

14. JohnnyQuickkick

They were top all season until a couple of weeks ago. Came out of lockdown and just started beating the hell out of everybody.
    I won’t say they’re back. Gotta finish top 4 and imo do it again next year. They’re on the right track finally. One of the youngest teams in Europe even with Zlatan

15. JohnnyQuickkick

In other news Juve has activated their option to purchase McKinnie permanently

16. Unimane

Good for him, even if just to avoid the mess which is Schalke these days. It's always fascinating to watch some traditionally strong clubs unable to compete in the current landscape. Someone like Nottingham Forest was winning European Cups 40 years ago.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

I always think of Ajax.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ajax was just in the Champions League semis a few year ago though.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah but that was, I don’t want to say a fluke, because it was a good squad, but it kinda was a fluke

reading zlatans book, when he was there, he says the goal of everybody there was to get out

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Pretty standard for any league in the world, outside of Germany/France/England/Italy/Spain, to be a stepping stone. The sooner MLS realizes that, the better.