Social Injustice

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 9, 2016.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Headlines usually say something like "racial group that makes up X percentage of population acounts for 2.5X of police shootings". right?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Whatever grabs the most attention, probably. News media is a lot like an expert sitting in a movie theater watching a movie about their expert field, and thinking, "man, they got that wrong." That's all reporting.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Per stop data doesn't suit you. This aggregate argument is stupid. Poverty is an excuse and complete crap.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Has anyone ran across any good studies (or already linked, and I missed them) any good studies that show arrests and/or charges made for illegal guns, resisting arrest, assault on a police officer, fleeing arrest, etc., by race?

I'd legit like to see anything in that area, if anyone has ran across and would link it here.

Awhile ago, didn't everyone here agree (I started an entire thread on the question) that blacks commit more crime than whites? If so, wouldn't that account for a higher percentage of blacks being incarcerated - or even interactions with police officers - than whites, and similarly higher instances of police shootings?

Also, can someone give me a good example, or a few dozen, of when white cops unjustly shot and killed a black person, and we're not held accountable for it? This is 1000% sincerely asked - because I don't recall seeing a single one. Admittedly, and number of them - hundreds, even - could have occurred and escaped either my attention or memory, and I'd like to review any that may have occurred, if they could be identified and linked, here?

5. Tenacious D

If we're going to buy the BLM argument that racism is to blame for a disproportionately higher number of incarcerated black people, compared to their representative percentage in society (I don't buy that, but assuming we did) - what are those figures? Are they 10% of all people, and 25% of all incarcerated?

I'm trying to see what the threshold is, because if we're working to cure societal ills, it would seem to me that an infinitely stronger argument could be made for institutional sexism, instead, when males make up roughly 49% of America's population, but represent 90%+ of incarcerated persons.

So, if we use societal v. incarcerated percentage as the standard by which to judge a social injustice, then why aren't we at least talking about the much more egregious numbers based on gender, not only instead of race, but first? Isn't that a bigger problem?

Complete sidenote, but a sincere question - what happens when a person is born a male, continuously possesses male genitalia and lives as a male for their entire lives, who later gets convicted and sentenced to federal prison and only then claims to self-identify as a woman...would they be required to serve their federal sentence in a male or female prison? Not really even a point, just legit curious.

6. fl0at_

Study KB posted is pretty close to what you are looking for.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ngs-of-whites-and-blacks-is-so-controversial/

7. fl0at_

I'll take your opinion with zero substantiation into consideration. There, done. Yup. Hasn't changed anything. Still is what it is.

8. fl0at_

Typically in male population, but that is supposed to change, if it hasn't already. Part of the stop rape in prison, thing. PFC Manning, of wikileaks infamy is kind of a case study here, because of the Federal nature of the crime.

9. Tenacious D

The limitations of the Houston study being noted, it seems that blacks are more involved in "dangerous encounters" with law enforcement than whites, or 58% to 12%.

If we're going to use societal percentages as the standard by which to measure racism in law enforcement, how to explain these numbers? And, let's just dare to imagine that the reason for the disparity of these numbers isn't simply the rampantly institutionalized racism amongst law enforcement, as BLM suggests and seems so certain of....what other causes may exist, or be just as equally plausible and possible?

10. Tenacious D

Not at all familiar with PFC Manning, but is he a guy who claimed to be a woman and was sentenced to an all-female prison?

And are you saying that this allowance is what will now be changing - that men who self-identify as women will be sentenced to an all-female federal prison?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

You know about manning. They leaked Intel to WikiLeaks.

12. fl0at_

Ask any police officer, anywhere. Anyone you may know. Ask them: "Can you find a reason to pull anyone over, if you follow them long enough?" The answer is always "Yes."

So who gets followed the longest? The new mini-SUV or the run down 2001 car? Both have the same person in it, the run down 2001 car gets pulled over, why? Because poverty and crime go hand in hand. And blacks have one of the highest poverty rates in the country.

13. fl0at_

Historically, genetic males who identify as females, are housed in the male population of the prison. That is changing, to where genetic males, who identify as females, will be housed in female populations of the prison.

Because, in part, of a law meant to stop prison rape. PFC Manning was convicted, I think, of espionage, and is in Leavenworth (again, I think). She is a genetic male. She had hormone therapy while in prison. She is still, I think, in the male population.

But because she's starting to look a lot like a woman, there is an increased risk of rape. So...

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Manning is kept out of Gen pop, mostly in isolation iirc. Which seems to be the way they handle it.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I drove a decent car when I was a kid and was still pulled over with regularity, 3 or 4 times a year, for bullshit reasons for years. then I hit my mid 20s and haven't been pulled over since. obviously that's not a coincidence. if you are black i'm sure it's like being a 17 year old your whole life.

16. Tenacious D

But is it merely because they are black, alone, as BLM suggests? Or is it because that blacks have a higher proclivity for crime, violence and in placing officers in more "dangerous encounters" than anyone else?

If we're going to get in here and solve this, then let's work to solve it with all of the possible pieces of the puzzle on the table and in play.

Racism is wrong. The unjustified actions of the police against any citizen is wrong. The de-humanizing of any person is wrong. If it is demonstrably happening and purely based on racism, submit your proof and let's get to the bottom of it - but be willing to follow every possible lead, and unflinchingly in any direction that it may take, toward whatever it's most logical conclusion, whatever it may be.

But, starting at a perceived (hoped for?) conclusion - cops are racists against blacks - is, in Kanye's own words, that's a pretty bad way to start a conversation.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

beats me. my guess is because blacks are more likely to commit crimes that cops keep a closer eye on black motorists than white motorists. just like they are more likely to keep an eye on a 18 year old in a car with a bunch of other 18 year olds compared to a white dude in his late 30s with two toddlers.

18. fl0at_

If Memphis pulled over every motorist that exceeded the speed limit, which is a crime..., every city building would be gold plated and the city would still have money left over to piss on. And the vast majority of those speeding tickets would be given to white people, like my wife, who has never met a speed limit she couldn't exceed.

But they don't. Because then violent crime wouldn't get addressed. So before saying "higher proclivity for crime," I think that needs to be one hell of a caveat.

Also, something else to ask any law enforcement officer you know: "Is a traffic stop a dangerous encounter?" If they don't say "yes, every time," then buy them a beer. They might not be around next week.

19. Tenacious D

I was using "dangerous encounters" as defined by the Houston study.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Zero. The per stop data you tried to put asunder is in your ear hole. Pull it out and read it. More silliness.