Spurrier Retiring

Discussion in 'Sports' started by yont sum iss?, Oct 12, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Never speak in certainties

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Giving it some thought....

With so many jobs coming open this season, especially at places like USC, Miami and maybe Oregon and Texas....teams like USC (I'm going to stop calling an SEC team "USCe" - they're "USC", Southern Cal can be "USCw") don't want to get in a bidding war with them, and the dynamics of the hiring process when the big programs are officially on the market.

So, if USC is going to have their pick, they need to strike early, and first. I wonder if they saw that Spurrier was done - not saying they pushed him out, but pushed him to make a decision for next season - and he just said screw it, you can have it now?

And not a a giant FU to them, per se, but if their is any coach who wouldn't hang around one second beyond what he felt was good for a team, and where he wasn't wanted as being THE guy, it's the HBC.

3. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Agreed. Spurrier has pretty much always done things on his own terms.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have to think there is a reason why he hasn't gotten a decent gig already

5. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Chip Kelly to USCw?

6. Savage Orange

He could be like Chavis... Could have a HC job if he wanted it but just doesn't want it... Chiefs time has come and gone but he never seemed to want to be THE guy...

7. Savage Orange

Rich Rod. Hat will lose his mind.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I've merged two threads already. I have to temper expectations of my workload

9. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

You always new Steve would leave on his own terms if he could but mid-season leaves the players in a bit of a lurch.

10. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

SCe hiring Smart would be Dumb. Could he be their McElwain? Possibly. But he could just as easily be their Dooley. The Saban tree is far from automatic.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The same player saying he shouldn't have come to South Carolina?

The same ones that were medically cleared to play against LSU and refused?

12. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Holy shit, I missed this. Who are you referencing? Not Wilds I hope?

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Wilds and a receiver

14. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I heard something about Wilds looking at Spurrier funny when Spurrier asked him if he could go a full game or something. Dang.

15. Savage Orange

Lulz @ Fulmer on XM a few minutes ago peeping like the fact that he isn't coaching anywhere is his decision....

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I just have a hard time believing he couldn't have had a job at a low tier P5 school. Look at some of the average coaches, that have never won anything, that get hired.

17. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

The Fulmer hate is something I'll never get. I'd kill to have us go on a run like that right now.

18. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I'm certain it would be the single dumbest coaching move in history. Which is exactly why I think there is zero chance it happens.

Pay cut alone makes it a ridiculous proposition, that's without factoring in everything else

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's more hate for those who wish he was still coaching and delusional enough to believe he had another 90's type run left in him.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

He didn't want one of those though. He only wanted a big name program. I'm guessing an Illinois or Kansas would have given him a shot.