Spurrier Retiring

Discussion in 'Sports' started by yont sum iss?, Oct 12, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

In fairness, there ain't many like the old HBC.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

OBC couldn't stomach being 0-3 against Lyle Jones, JMO, GBFO, DDIAPOS.

3. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

There's truth here. He's a proud guy and appreciates his win percentage and legend. He wasn't about to lose to Vanderbilt and Tennessee on his way out the door.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

only head coach I can remember who actually embraced the "you are your record" mantra.

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

He's the anti-Butch.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would have loved for Tennessee to win the Natty in 2001 and Fulmer retire immediately.

Or won the SECCG in 2007 and he retire after that.

Instead, he hung around way too long and refused to hire an up and coming coaches. He hired buddies and retreads. He hamstrung Clawson and it was a disaster.

He did a lot of good, but he also did a lot of bad. He was a huge reason Hamilton was hired as AD

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

It feels like the twilight zone to think he could've been 0-3 against him.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It is. He could coach at a lot of smaller schools, but he doesn't want to.

Now, I don't think his ego would let him take a small time job, but there's no doubt an ECU or Memphis or Southern Miss would take him

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think a Miss State or Kentucky or Illinois (or any of the smaller P5 schools) would have jumped at him, I believe. IF he felt like recruiting again. But his ego, as you say, was just too big, and I cannot blame the guy.

10. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Alright, people want a Tennessee man, Steve Spurrier for AD at Tennessee. (High School years count)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So, leaving Tennessee for a soon to be sanctioned USC isn't it?

The pay cut isn't much, plus you get celebrated for going 8-4 in a shit conference.

How many coaches claim they've received death threats and stayed at a school?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't think Butch has an emotional tie to Tennessee and really resents the heat that he took for losing the games he should have won. Plus I still think he drops one that he shouldn't before the season is over.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

This press conference makes me believe that a USC booster pissed off the OBC and he told them to go to hell and quit.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yep. I hope he told that booster to suck his king kong sized **** and get on his knees and thank him for bringing his program out of the depths of hell.

15. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

I ****ing hate some of our fans. This would not surprise.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Did Tanner cry?

17. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Southern Cal should give him a call. At least they have a serviceable qb he can coach.

18. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

He choked up when he came on, but I don't think he cried. He kept ha into pause and gather himself.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I did laugh when he said Janie was ready to move on, at least he thought she was.

20. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Lane would have sacrificed his kids to go back to USC. Butch isn't tied to Maryland. What was Edsall making, was it close to what Butch is making?