Stoops on SEC / Tennessee

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

On the SEC:
    And here's the "ringing" endorsement he gives Jones and Tennessee, and which rings somewhat casually hollow, IMO. Most especially, when considering that it's pure pre-game coach-speak, normally overflowing and effusive with praise:

Whoa, slow down there, Bob, or you'll make us blush.

Bonus quote, and which speaks directly to and in support of, my larger post in the "Predict the OU Score" thread, where I state the many reasons for why OU has any number of important reasons to blow Tennessee up on Saturday:

Emphasis mine. Take it as you will.

Link: http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=11492072

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's soon to be 88-6 at home.

3. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Hopefully that's not the score of his next home game.

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Stoops wants to send a message about the SEC. We'll be his huckleberry.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Are you free this week to address the team on how to take an ass raping? Seems as you could offer something of benefit to these kids.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Pretty bold to step out and talk smack about playing a team that has been a cellar dweller for going on 10 seasons and is apparently staying there again.

Bold stuff. Beat Alabama in a consolation game, which is exactly what some Mountain West outfit did a few years prior and they're the glory days of OU reincarnate.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

[​IMG]

I fear we're going to be Hector in this scenario.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You guys needed confirmation Stoops was going to run it up?

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But, by God, they will still be speaking our names 2800 years later.

Or, instead of the 300 Spartans,the 85 Volunteers.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

This dude is reaching a Urban Meyer levels of hatred for me.

The sugar bowl wasn't a consolation game for OU because OU had no hope of playing in the National Championship game. It was a consolation prize for Bama because they fully expected to be playing for a National Title all the way up to the very last play of their very last regular season game. It's not rocket science.

And now he's going to talk big shit and beat up on the youngest team in the country. I bet that makes him feel like a big man. I'd love to see him play one of the top 3 or 4 programs in the SEC during the regular season.

Edit: and I'm no SEC homer. I just can't stand coaches and programs who think they are big shit but don't back it up, i.e. Notre Dame, OSU, and now OU.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Mr. Stoops:

2000 January 3, 2001 1 Oklahoma (Big 12) Champs 13 2 Florida State (ACC) Champs 2
    2003 January 4, 2004 2 LSU (SEC) Champs 21 1 Oklahoma (Big 12) Runner-up 14
    2004 January 4, 2005 1 USC (Vacated) † (Pac-10) Champs 55 2 Oklahoma (Big 12) Champs 19
    2008 January 8, 2009 2 Florida (SEC) Champs 24 1 Oklahoma (Big 12) Champs 14

*courtesy of Wikipedia

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Heard a radio guy on one of the XM shows say that his only point of this was to win back Texas recruiting and htat he probably doesn't believe half of what he is actually saying.

That said, he's going to run it up if he can.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

One big reason Stoops has the Oklahoma job was his success under Spurrier at UF.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I find it a bit strange that you list 3 teams with 20 National Championships among them in this category. They are #2, 3, and t5 on the "most national championships" list.

15. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

What is Stoops' beef with the SEC?

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think too much might be made of too little.

What was Stoops supposed to say, that his conference sucks and he only beat a Bama team because they were sad?

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Publically its probably overblown.
    Privately Im sure he along with many others are tired of hearing about the SEC.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Plus A&M is now using the play in the SEC card against players he's fighting for at OU

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And when's the last time any of them won one?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

OSU and OU not too long ago.