Syria

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, May 30, 2013.

1. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Crank up the Enola Gay.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Some unintentionally funny posts in this thread

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Fyp

4. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

This is exactly what I think of when I think of AQ or the MB. How about you?

Obama: You Can't Fathom 'Complexities' of Syria Policy 'If You Haven't Been in Situation Room' | The Weekly Standard

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I think Obama made some good points in that article. There is always collateral damage that has to be considered against the end goal. Speaking of the 'end goal' ... what is that exactly? A stable Syria? Someone smarter than me is going to have to explain why Syria's internal upheaval threatens our way of life ... other than the USA being the 'World's Police' and all.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Having recent history as a vantage point I would hope he understands the implications. That being said Syria, currently, does not directly threaten us in any shape or form. I'm not sure that would still be the case 10 years down the road if the "rebels" were to win with the help of our arms. As lumberjack said, this is shaping up like Afghanistan back in the 80s.

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I agree with the comparison to AFG. I wonder, though, if that had happened now or under Bush or Clinton, would we have intervened in the same way. I'm not educated on our involvement other than supplying weapons through mid-level arms dealers to the Mujahideen but I wonder if the tact has changed since the Cold War. It would seem that was the motivating factor in our involvement. Carter immediately began covertly supplying arms to the insurgent groups just because it would help give the Soviets and Breshnev a black eye. I'm just saying there were other dynamics at work during The Soviet War in AFG.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know what annoys me more: Obama morphing into a 2000's Republican or Republicans pretending like they didn't support NSA patriot act shenanigans and "region stabilizing" police actions. ****ing incredible hypocrisy in this country.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's politics though, everything is cool if your guy is doing it. And people wonder why we're in the mess we're in.

10. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I don't disagree. However, I have found it difficult to have hardlined views on every issue. I know that you are progressive and that is your identity to your core and I respect that. I, on the other hand, are probably lumped in with the hypocrites you speak of because I find it difficult to be consistent on every issue due to the specifics. That's why I don't identify with a party honestly ... I'm sometimes in agreement with one party or the other on separate issues.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't believe in absolutes. I just don't see any difference between Syria and Iraq, other than the amount of oil. Both had a despot who was slaughtering civilians. Both had intelligence strongly suggesting the possession and use of chemical weapons. But now police action is out of the question?

And same with the NSA stuff. What has changed? I never liked either issue, and voted for a party and individual who said they were going to be a conduit for change. Instead, I've gotten a bullshit half-assed attempt at universal healthcare, and the same old shit regarding foreign policy, drone strikes, and the constitution on a toilet roll. I'm pissed. I'm ready for him to just go now. Hill-dawg 2016.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Wait, you want change so you're going to vote Clinton in 2016, if given the chance. Doesn't her poor leadership in her previous position not give you pause on that?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, because I'm not a Hannity/Limbaugh sheep that believes whatever is shoveled into the empty cavity between my ears. I'm supposed to think her leadership sucks, but the previous administrations' shit show was great, Romney was for the little guy, and McCain was a cunning diplomat. Okay. If someone believes that, they are pretty far divorced from reality. Who is my alternative? Marco Rubio? as bad and as hard as he sucked down water and viewer IQs earlier this year, he would easily suck even harder given any more responsibility than a pair of safety scissors.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tell me what you think of Condoleeza Rice.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You think that because I'm against Obama that I was for Bush and his administration. Bush and his administration trampled on individual liberty and pushed us deep into debt. I'm not a supporter of either.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is amazing that Bush was ever President. I can't find anyone in the Republican party who voted for him.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I guess it would help if I was a Republican.

19. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Really? You voted for Obama TWICE and you say you would vote for Hillary next and you want to make fun of the GOP sheep? How are you any different? You are part of the problem, the same as they are.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I voted independent before that. My hand was forced due to social issues/Sarah Palin nonsense