Teams About To Disappoint.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

They don't play Wisconsin.

2. kidbourbon

I'm gonna go with zero minutes.

3. kidbourbon

You only think they were smart with the ball because Saban -- mindful that they weren't the most physically gifted players -- never asked them to make decisions.

Your Julio point has merit.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Take a look at USC's record at oregon and vise versa. Last year was actually one of the few times in recent memory that SC has won at oregon. Oregon has historically had major problems playing at certain venues. cal being one of the actually. USC's home field advantage cannot be underestimated. especially under the lights.

The ducks very well might win every other game. there are only two defenses in the pac-12 IMO who can shut oregon down offensively. Cal and USC. No one else has the front 7 NFL talent. Stanford actually has a decent D, but they are slow and that is a killer against Oregon.

5. kidbourbon

Oregon is a different football team every year.

1) What do you believe to be unique to Oregon's program that would cause different teams comprised of different players to have trouble at certain venues?
    2) How will that have an effect on this year's version of the Oregon Ducks?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

First off. Most teams struggle on the road more than at home. Oregon's scheme requires a certain level of momentum. both to stop and to be successful. It's not a power scheme. We've seen teams with the personel to do it shut down oregon for say a half at oregon's home stadium. But eventually the D makes a mistake, the crowd gets into it, and the points start raining down. I'd argue it's much easier to mantain that defensive discipline at home.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To win the Big 10, you have to win the title game

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No, I think they're smart enough to know their limitations. McCarron doesn't have as many and tries for the big play quite a bit more. I believe Nick is happy with running the ball 65 times a game.

Look at a guy like Tyler Bray. He's not checking it down because he knows he's got the arm to get the ball downfield in tight spots. It will work, but there will be a few int's thrown as well.

A guy like JP Wilson knows he's not doing that and takes the 3 yard gain.

Saban doesn't want to take chances on O because he doesn't have to. Give him a 10 point lead and he's winning the majority of the time.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  9. kidbourbon

kidbourbon wrote:

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ok

11. kidbourbon

QBs with limitations are forced to play within rigid confines and not make mistakes. Game managers, we call them.

QBs who are more physically gifted are not boxed into the same rigid confines. They can go down the field and with that, mistakes will happen. But if need be, a physically gifted QB can always play the role of game manager. Or, rather, be forced by his coach to play the role of game manager. But wouldn't any coach want to utilize the physical tools of his players to do things offensively not otherwise feasible.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not necessarily sure Saban does want to run the ball 65 times a game. Otherwise, why do you recruit Mccarron? I think that you do the things that a QB's skillset affords you the option of doing. With Wilson and McElroy, the big play isn't happening with the pass. And if your offense isn't explosive, it has to be mistake free. Mccarron brings some of that big play potential to the table because he's a better QB, and with that comes more mistakes. So I don't think it's fair to say that he isn't smart with the ball -- I've never gotten that impression watching him play -- but rather that his skillset gives him the option of doing something other than throwing a 6 yard pass.

I think I'm repeating myself.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He committed to Bama on the spot and they could go recruit elsewhere? McCarron has all the physical tools to be a game changer, I just don't see him ever being asked to do it.

Saban's QBs have never been anything other than game managers. Look at who he won with at MSU, LSU or Bama. The QB spot is about the 7th most important position on O to him.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

To be honest, I don't think Saban has had a QB that is as good as McCarron in his time coaching college ball from a physical skills standpoint.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I agree with this

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Rohan Davey

16. kidbourbon

He hasn't.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Matt Mauck, you mean?

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

No. I think Davey had all the physical tools you'd need. Probably also had the best passing season a QB has had under Saban.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

McElroy is still in the NFL, but yes not exactly a murderors row.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

John Parker Wilson is still with the Falcons too.

Rohan Davey hung on with the Pats for a few seasons as well.