TENNESSEE (7-3) vs. XAVIER (7-4), Dec. 29, opportunity!

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by PoochPunt3rdDown, Dec 28, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I certainly do not set the bar there. I am just saying I am cognizant of that factor. I am of a mind that if we can get by Memphis, we will do well enough in conference to skate by into the tourney. The tourney is my bar this year. Being Maymonless makes that tougher, but it is still the bar.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Agreed.....mostly. I worry this team toes too fine a line sometimes in keeping games close with their defense/lack of offense. It's great not to get blown out very often, but, relying on a possession or two in a multitude of games is a downside to creating a philosophy liked the one we're using now.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

This team is one of the best defensive teams in the country, not having Maymon means the offense will go stagnant sometimes simply because there isn't another option inside. It is what it is. There are going to be some dreadful games offensively, but they will either win or be in a position to win most of them. That's nothing to scoff at.

Hell, you guys remember how Syracuse looked when they lost their best player last year?

4. Unimane

Again, I like Maymon, but I think we're getting into some mythologizing as to his abilities here. We'd still struggle with offense even if he were here and a lot has to do with the style of play favored by Martin. I think we walk the ball up too much, although it was better today, and our zone offensive strategy is poor. There are definitely things that can be done to improve our offensive output. Yes, we are one of the best defensive teams in the country, however, relying on holding the opposition to under 50 or so points on a consistent basis is a bit optimistic.

5. Got heem

Got heem New Member

nm

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How is it overestimating Maymon? You can't double team two legit post players. He'd easily open up the offense.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I disagree with uni's assessment of ccm, but I do think it's a stretch to think that maymon would cure all of our offensive woes. He would certainly help, but we weren't an offensive juggernaut last year either. Our guard play is just too inconsistent to be a good offensive team, with or without maymon.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

But all but one of our games were pretty close, and I doubt we are hearing any doubting if we only had 1 loss to this point.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Maymon and Maymon's presence are worth about another 10 points per game, in my opinion. Combine that with the type of defense that UT plays, and you get a lot of wins when you average 70 points a game.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't think they'd be an offensive juggernaut either, but I think Maymon is a bit of a unique guy, and presents some matchup problems on his own, as well as (more importantly) changing the way teams approach defending them. I think some things get a lot easier on everybody if he's out there. But teams will still pack it in and the guard play will still be what it is.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I agree.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This team is 10-1 and ranked in the top 25 if Maymon is on the floor.

13. Unimane

Perhaps, I would've liked to find out (unless it means having him for a better team next year).

By the way, I am perfectly fine with my opinion underselling Martin in the long run, absolutely 100% AOK with being wrong on my skepticism. I ain't too proud, for sure.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he can get this team to the tourney, he deserves some credit.

15. Unimane

Absolutely.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Preseason First Team All-SEC.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Maymon isn't a superhero, but his presence on the floor dictates that teams play us significantly differently than they do now. Just his presence makes Jarnell Stokes' life much, much easier. Also, Maymon's most of the difficult to defend because he's a lefty, who are naturally more awkward to defend, combined with the fact that he's fantastic with his off hand. Also, he's the best rebounder on the team and the best post defender. He's also an excellent passer in the middle of the zone. So, to make it more clear, Maymon's skillset is exactly what Tennessee is missing right now.

18. Unimane

You know, the funny thing is that, 2 years ago, I was getting shit for saying Maymon would be a great addition for our team and now I'm getting criticized for underselling Maymon's impact. Funny how these things work.

In any event, I'm far more malleable on this particular argument of mine than any I've previously had. I hope I've established myself as one who isn't wishy washy with my opinions, so I feel OK with saying that I can definitely see a way in which Martin will be successful, but still hold some reservations.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Haha, that wasn't me that you were arguing with about Maymon. And, Martin may ultimately not be successful, but he's building the program the correct way, imo. Offense leads something to be desired, but when you get about 10 totally uncontested 3s and can't make a single one, your offense looks ugly. We've got to eventually make some shots, and it will be much more aesthetically pleasing. Next year should be fun, assuming Maymon is redshirted, with Stokes returning and the addition of Hubbs.

20. Unimane

I can go with that and, sorry, I know I quoted you, but I didn't mean to say you, specifically, were giving me shit about Maymon. Sort of a more generalized statement.