Tennessee vs. Iowa Round of 32 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have traveled all over this country Iowa is a hoax perpetrated by the corn lobby. it's just east Nebraska.

InVolNerable likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Also interesting that Grant Williams, in a sky interview with Andy Katz from the team bus, took the blame along with his teammates for slowing the pace down in the second half. Said they should have maintained what was working and indicated Barnes didn't want them playing slow.

4. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm confused. How does a coach let this happen?

5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Rick’s the grandpa that the kids ignore.

6. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

OR... We won and the team is one game from advancing as far as any Tennessee team has ever advanced in the tournament. I’ll go with that take. Neither game has played out how I’d like besides the final results, but comfortable wins wouldn’t have been a real test either. They know they almost lost their asses today. There’s no point in complaining right now. This ride isn’t over.

NYY likes this.
  7. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

So you bought a ferret too? Congrats

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

For better or worse, Barnes gives ownership to the players during games.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

The first guy on the court at the buzzer was Admiral. Probably pissed off New Coach with his enthusiasm and unselfishness.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ask Bone about that

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Developing a player in practice and coaching in-game is not the same thing. It’s obvious the players run this team in-game.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

So obviously they don't ignore him. Have you ever played a sport, ever, in your life outside of upwards basketball?

dknash, Indy and Beechervol like this.
  13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

We can pick nits about the team and yesterday, but if you are in your late 30s like me, we've had terribly inconsistent basketball over these years.From the absolute dregs of hoops in the early 90s, losing to UNC when we were better than them, getting demolished by Louisville when Lofton couldn't even get a shot off, Stokes being called for a phantom foul against Michigan, thirty better seconds down the stretch vs. Mich St, and we go to Final Four...

Need to breathe deep, relax, and try to enjoy it. These are special guys. I love them all. You should too.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The better ones do most of their work in practice and the film room at this level. Similar to Nascar you don't see race teams unload a 40th place car very often and "coach it" to a checkered flag.

15. Ssmiff

Rhetorical question.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You coach in practice and during hinge moments during the game.

17. Ssmiff

Coach K is one of the best ever and does very little barking from the sidelines during game play. Opposite of Cuonzo joysticking every player move. If your players, especially jrs and seniors need instruction from the sideline every second, your practices and game prep are lacking.

18. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Like when Dwight and Jim make up Lloyd Gross to skirt the commission cap, pretty sure Iowa just exists to get additional subsidies for the surrounding states.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He's not "letting" it happen from the sense that he's being run over by the players on this team. Bone is a great example. He's in a position where the majority of the growth as a college PG has taken place. Now he is leaning on that growth and all those experiences and just playing basketball.

Im sure some will disagree with the idea in general, and I would under certain conditions. You can't do that with certain teams or groups of players. But Im a lot less inclined with this group with where the majority of them are in their careers.

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I didn’t even play upwards. Too scared of carpet burn.