Tennessee vs. Iowa Round of 32 NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Indy, Mar 23, 2019.

1. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I'm glad he was happy for his son but I didn't want to [uck fay]ing hear it. Am sure Admiral's brother was asked but said WTF??

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If you’re gonna mic somebody it should’ve been Ron f’ing Slay

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That may not have been safe for TV

Beechervol likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This reminds me of when Andy Kelly was doing the sideline stuff for UT. I wanted a PPV broadcast of him, a 12 pack, and giving his honest to God Rhea Co. thoughts on the game.

volfanjo and justingroves like this.
  5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

IIRC they mentioned the official that blew the whistle didnt originally signal a foul call. That tells me he had one of those oops moments. I know they can overturn or over rule tipped balls that go out of bounds, I'm not totally sure another official can overturn a foul call if he didnt blow his whistle to make a call originally. It had the feel that once he stopped play he had to admit to an inadvertent whistle or go ahead and make the call.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

"He just took him to the boom boom room"

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Priest is real close to it

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"damn it!"

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You get the Rhea Co with Andy though. Tim doesn't give you that. Tim's just gonna drop dead in the booth.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

If you're doing much coaching during a game, you're probably a terrible coach.

11. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

There are always adjustments and strategy within the game. It’s not as easy as roll the ball out there and play. This isn’t the NBA.

These guys do what they want during the game.

Barnes wanted them to keep the tempo and attack, but they went against him and sat on their heels killing the shot clock. Multiple players admitted that after the game.

As far as Admiral sitting in overtime, I’m fine with that, but it’s funny how the players tell their coach what to do.

No basketball team that has 10+ turnovers in 1 half (which has happened multiple times) is a disciplined basketball team.

So I’d criticize Barnes in practice and in game.

However, he’s put the best product on the court for us in a very long time. He gets an A from me. But to get to the Final 4 we’re going to have to be a helluva lot better.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are 52 tournament teams that would do anything to be in our position right now. 335 D-1 programs that would do anything...

Maybe this is it, and maybe this team turns out to not be the undisputed best team in school history, but I get the strong feeling that the next 10 years will be better than the last 10 years and these guys are the ones that have made that happen. And the last 2 years have definitely been better than any 2 years before, record-wise.

It's easy to feel disappointed in the moment, but I urge you to resist it. Sweet 16's may not mean a whole lot for elite teams, but this team means a lot to this program and they are still playing. They are creating a future in which multiple 5 star players will be wearing orange on the court together. That's what this 2-year run means and that is why it is to be celebrated regardless. The accomplishment is in the seeds that have been planted.

TBSVOL, A-Smith and dknash like this.
  13. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

This is the kind of jargon we’ve heard for the last 20 years in every sport. It’s not often you get an opportunity like this. Last year they blew the perfect opportunity to cake walk to the Final 4. This year’s team is going to be as good as any to make a deep run. You don’t sit top 5 all season and gloat in making the Sweet 16. Everything is still out there for us, let’s go get it.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The problem I have is that there have been issues that have gone unaddressed for months and they appear to still be a problem in the postseason. If we fall short, there are going to be a lot of "what ifs" with these guys.

15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Gloating...give me a [uck fay]ing break and go back to your playstation.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I didn't say we should gloat about the Sweet 16. And I absolutely am not saying we should roll over or that our guys can't win. Far from it. But there is a programmatic momentum underway regardless. And if Pearl doesn't lie about a BBQ, we would never have stopped making tournament runs. I can't think of a time football has seen this much real success since 2009. A sweet 16 is surely more than a Taxslayer Bowl win, and the bones were obviously rotten under Jones.

17. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I think we have positive momentum, but I think you have to capitalize on these opportunities. Rick Barnes doesn’t have a ton of years left and Grant Williams isn’t on your team forever. You can start recruiting 5 stars all you want, but this team has something special that doesn’t come around often, and should be a Final 4 team.

18. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Quit ignoring your ferret. What’d you name him?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree, but that is something even most or all of the blue bloods deal with every season. That is sports at the upper echelon. There is only one champion. There are only 4 in the Final Four. And there are at least 8 legitimately great teams vying to be one of those 4. We have two victories over a 2 seed and one over a 1 seed already. We have no losses to a non-NCAA team. Everyone that we lost to is in the Sweet 16, except for one team that had a major injury and was eliminated by one of those other teams. Whatever happens Thursday, we were in the mix. We are in the mix.

Indy likes this.
  20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

This reads like a Butch Jones quote.

justingroves likes this.