Thank God For Urban Meyer.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hatvol96, Jan 13, 2015.

1. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And would have against a team that actually played defense.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I don't think you did take a look.

Here are the rankings for offense by my favorite ranking and the one that I always quote. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

1. tOSU
    2. Oregon
    3. Alabama

3. kidbourbon

So the team that had the highest rated offense this year winning it all proves that CFB isn't offense-leaning? Is that what you're saying?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Quoting yourself is definitely allowed.

I totally disagree with your spin. You worship at the altar of points. If you were gesticulating (that is a word) at something like TOP, 3rd down conversion %, scoring by possession, etc. it would be one thing. But you so clearly are looking at points and points alone.

I'm dusting off my Team Hatvol hoodie with the torn off sleeves.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You implied they couldn't win scoring 20. I think they could have. I will leave you and hat to sort out the details of your greater argument.

Edit: I see now you said 20 points a game. I think hat said 20 points in the playoffs. Not sure if the two statements are misquoted, completely unrelated, or whatever.

6. kidbourbon

They beat Alabama 42-35.

7. kidbourbon

Gotta score, dog.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gotta stop other team from scoring, dog. Gotta count to 11, dog. Gotta cover kickoffs, dog.

This is exactly what I mean. Just "points" isn't a meaningful metric. Team A beating Team B 66-7 is not a sign of superiority over team C, who beat Team B 45-14.

9. kidbourbon

Just points isn't sufficient, but it's certainly meaningful. And "just points" is more than a bit strawman-y in view of the quote where I quoted myself.

10. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Good to see you crawled back out from under your rock. Which flash in the pan program is your hipster dipshit ass going to jinx next year? I think you've cost Oregon enough.

11. hatvol96

True, it would have taken 21 to beat that Oregon juggernaut. Remind me how many points Oregon has scored in their two bites at the title apple.

12. hatvol96

Imagine if Ohio State ran one of those flashy "tempo" offenses. They might actually win something.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is hard to play hurry up and attack weaknesses over and over again to run up the score when playing a complete team.

I'm not saying Oregon isn't a good football team, I just think their perception has been greatly enhanced by style points over substance.

14. hatvol96

I'm just waiting for the fallout when childbourbon realizes people are embarrassing his Sui Generis superstar every night now because he has zero lateral quickness and ESPN is driving home the stats regarding how the lower tempo team won 2/3 of the games in last season's NCAA Tournament. I foresee a lot of tennis talk from him in the near future.

15. hatvol96

Nah, dog. Points are points. Whether you score them against Washington State or Ohio State. Points are obviously the currency of college football. I don't know why anyone recruits defensive players.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I giggled at childbourbon.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Couldn't be because the better defensive teams win most of the big games.

18. kidbourbon

This is great. Dude says Bama is going to win it all scoring 20 points a game. He says so in response to my statement that I like my juggernauts with more of an offensive helping. And then the the team -- not Bama, but another team -- with the best offense in the country statistically wins it all scoring 40+ each time and he comes in here claiming victory. Okay.

My work was done a week ago. I'm not sure why the small child named hat is still typing. The buzzer sounded on his stance. I don't know how an individual can be any more incorrect. I honestly don't.

19. hatvol96

Of course not. Childbourbon says it's all about scoring points. I'm still stunned the powers that be were able to somehow rip Baylor off this year. Really tragic.

20. hatvol96

I could be you. That's how I could be any more incorrect. You're the only one who thinks your work was done a week ago. That's no surprise, because you are the only person on the planet who thinks you are intelligent, witty, informed, or anything other than a wannabe Grantland writer who sucks the **** of whatever team is the flavor of the month.