POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

No, uni, it doesn't irk me. It appears one of us is and it tends to be the one with 2 pages of responses who is irked due to someone having an opinion they don't agree with.
    I think about politics about 1 minute per day. You obsess over it, so one of us is more apt to get irked about the subject.
    What does irk me are the mental gymnastics some pull over politics instead of calling everything for what it is.
    And I'm quite embarrassed. Everything has gone to shit and Biden on camera is an embarrassment

2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I think it's hilarious. It's like something from Leslie Nielsen's scene from Scary Movie where he plays the POTUS. But I totally get how that clips gets cycled into the political arena.

3. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

So you are irked. It’s okay to be irked.

4. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I doubt the majority of Americans pay attention to half the things that people in power say. Everyone tunes it out, which is a whole different problem

5. Ssmiff

Tuning out is irksome

6. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Everything irks me.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Don’t say irk

8. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Was it you or was it me who brought this topic up?

Otherwise, you're just throwing a bunch of random, vague personal attacks on me without really addressing the point. Saying "everything has gone to shit" is not really a critique, just a generalization without any sort of detail.

9. Ssmiff

It was me who brought it up and evidently you were irked about it enough to respond and tell me how wrong I was.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

If only that were the case in Russia...

11. Unimane

I don't really care about irked or whatever, simply commenting on a topic which interests me. I'm more just noting how you seem to resort to a few usual tactics on these threads when you don't/can't respond with some substantive argument. Tonight, it's the "I know you are, but what am I" one.

12. Ssmiff

What am I supposed to be arguing about uni? I don't have the need to defend my opinion with you. Zehr shared the same one. Go argue with him how wrong he is. I know I'm right so there is no argument to be made on my end. Media and left woulda flipped if Trump said what Biden said. Period. That you say it isn't so means nothing really because you are wrong.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which one is the bomb one?

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I understand what you were saying when you brought it up. Biden in your opinion gets more benefit of the doubt. I think that's true but I also think he gets it because he doesn't double down on things (Doocey beef squashed, for example). His intentions are usually cringey at worst. But I recognize that there is some level of subjectivity to that.

15. Unimane

If you know you're right, then you should be able to argue your point (Another Ssmiff tactic "I'm just right because I say so and shouldn't have to argue it"). You seem mystified people will have the audacity to disagree with your clearly "right" position and don't know why, on a message board, people might respond to something you state. I mean, really?

And, I'm not wrong. I laid out my reasoning, too, but, just to clarify, I don't remember a time in which Trump's hackneyed attempted at poking fun at someone led to any kind of media outrage you suggest. I do remember a lot of times where his mockery, scorn, and ridicule did so, though. I will grant Biden probably gets a little more leeway because he doesn't relentlessly treat the media with abject scorn for every petty reason. But, I don't find that leeway particularly notable or substantial in a meaningful way.

16. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Of the three congressmen, two did play college football (Veasey and Allred) and the third one (Ellzey) was a Navy pilot who participated in air strikes in Afghanistan

Also, if one watches the whole clip and not just that 3 seconds of it, he talks about Ellzey being a fighter pilot before he says it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

So it was all literally true. Okay, so no outrage is valid.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Here’s the longer clip

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Actually I may have misunderstood on Veasey, don’t know if he played in college and can’t find any mention of it, but he appears to be pretty active in the congressional sporting events at the very least

20. Ssmiff

well then the clip isn't as silly as it appeared. Context is key. Always and for everyone.