POLITICS The Biden Presidency

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Good on people who weren't the capital police taking ownership and responsibility, recognizing that it is their job as leaders to do such, and correcting the error, even though they were not directly involved.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

call it willfully ignorant for 500 alice

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s an interesting way to draw the box to me. It really only makes sense to me that you wouldn’t consider that a final and separate step if it doesn’t make sense to separate it out and manage separately because it is too small. I would think good distribution would stop at arrival on the grocery store and then food sales and the process of cooking and eating would pick up from there. Or ammo distribution would end at the sports store marketing their ammo, providing sales, and even the act of hunting would follow that.

But - if that’s how it is defined (and if I look through the CDC website amd don’t read it as letter of the law if a specific thing isn’t mentioned, I think you are right).

So, let me include it and then re-ask.

What are the real barriers to hitting 100 MM vaccinations in the first 100 days? I’ve gone back to look at his announcement to see if thai was 100 MM people vaccinated or 100 MM doses delivered. It’s 100 MM doses delivered.

With our apparently completely shifty distribution, we are hitting a bit over a pace that would get us to 90 MM “shots in arms” over the first 100 days.

So we need about 10% improvement.

Have you seen that Pfizer/Modern’s will be able to deliver 100 MM doses to the government over that period? Because I’d have to think that incremental distribution improvement wouldn’t be that hard to achieve.

Now that I’ve been re-educated to include administration into distribution, I’ll rail on distribution. I simply cannot believe we didn’t have better plans in place for who and when we would vaccinate, where it would happen, with clear communication in advance. It’s gotten better with time as you would expect but I don’t see why that couldn’t have been day 1.

I bet the bigger issue will be getting through all the no’s to find the yes people. Seems like many that aren’t in the medical field (several of whom I know are begrudgingly taking it - that’s mainly nurses) or over 75 are saying “no, not right now. Maybe after we’ve had more time to see side effects”. Seems like that could begin to slow things down. I’m personally on board when my number comes up.

4. Ssmiff

ftr there are all sorts of articles in regards to Pfizer and covid distribution. Good reads. Also mention production being an issue. NY is out of vaccines with next shipment tuesday. Can't distribute whats not on the shelf.

5. TennTradition

This article highlights the distribution challenges. It doesn’t get into thrown away doses - I’d like to see that quantified. Amd it’s lacking on talking about anticipated supply.

https://khn.org/news/article/bidens...ations-in-the-first-100-days-it-wont-be-easy/

A National website so that every state didn’t have to invest in and develop their own woukd have been nice.

They say about 12 MM doses given vs 31 MM shipped out. Depending on the timing of those shipments, that’s quite the lag.

6. fl0at_

To your first: In business, getting it to market is the box, because that is business. But that isn't so with government, whose job is not business, but people.

The real barriers to hitting 100 million vaccinations in the first 100 days are production and distribution.

You keep throwing out the 900k/day number, and you've done it here again by going to 90 million, as if momentum can carry forward a scarce resource. As if, all we had to do was accelerate, and then we were golden. But that isn't the issue, because the force propelling acceleration is production and distribution. If numbers went down to 400k/day tomorrow, would you see it? What if just 850k/day tomorrow. Would you still see it? You've gotten your mind wrapped around this idea that because we accelerated, that we can't be slowed down. And I don't know why.

7. fl0at_

This is called rationing, and is part of distribution, and is something the Federal government excels at.

8. Ssmiff

9. fl0at_

As I said yesterday, having a plan that reads "someone else can plan it" is not a plan. You can believe that to be a plan. You can find others who believe that is a plan.

And by definition it absolutely is a plan. But so is throwing everything in a big pile. And most would say that throwing everything in a pile is no plan at all. Which means, it has to be more than just a definitional thing, it also has to have substance.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

LOL

VolDad and gcbvol like this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

If the trial it about inciting erections, how could those Trumpists deny it? Open and shut case.

utvol0427 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Schumer may have had a freudian slip because he's stiffin' for Kiffin right now. Not everybody likes train rhymes.

SetVol13 likes this.
  13. CardinalVol

This is almost as funny as the time my pastor meant to say organism and said orgasm from the pulpit.

TennTradition likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I said "volcanic erection" in front of 24 college freshmen while teaching. Twice in 1 minute. They never forgot.

SetVol13 likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

Nor should they. I hope they are still laughing about it on their deathbed.

16. TennTradition

It isn’t that I believe we can’t or won’t slow down.

I am asking why we will and then I want to reevaluate the policies I’m light of that.

Were we able to hit 900k/day because we stockpiled at the point of use and then began in a fury but our distribution rTe is not able to sustain that rate? Is the distribution system capable of maintaining that pace but the production numbers are lower and we don’t have inventory to sustain?

Point being we could talk about distribution all day, fix it, make it perfect - but if the production rate is 400k/day that will all be irrelevant to actually hitting and sustaining the 1000/day rate (or considering ramp - exceeding that in the back half of the 100 days).

17. fl0at_

As stated yesterday, explicitly to you, it isn't production vs distribution vs meat. It is all of it.

Yes, but we can't control production, as it is private industry. We can control distribution. So, logically, rationally, and intelligently, we should control the things we can control, and make efficient the things we can make efficient. And that is distribution.

18. TennTradition

You can and should fix it. But you also need to have the public discussion about what fixing it will do. If supply won’t be there then that’s important to bring forward.

But fixing the non-rate-limiting step does not meet the goal amd might not even improve the rate.

I think the truth is likely the unknown is why you fix distribution. We don’t know if JJ vaccine will be ready for use in the next few months. If it is, it will ramp more quickly. And we will need the additional distribution scale and efficiencies to ramp distribution to meet the new supply. But we don’t know if that is coming / when.

I’m also not sure it’s true that the government can’t facilitate picking up the pace of supply even if they don’t control it.

19. fl0at_

How do you add capacity? The US isn't the only purchaser of the vaccine. Not for Moderna. Not for Pfizer. And not for anyone else. Short of seizing it as a national defense thing, which would be a pretty shitty thing to do globally, the US cannot pick up the pace in production. We're not talking about making bullets, bombs and MREs. We're talking biotechnology. In the time it would take for us to ramp up or convert other production means to that, production will have already rolled off, and it would then be surplus.

That discussion has been had, and for weeks. States have said for the last few weeks that they were told there were stockpiles, and that those stockpiles don't exist. Which means that it is known that supply is a problem. Communication about supply has been a problem. And thus planning around supply has been a problem.

All of that is part of distribution, and will benefit from a cohesive, national plan, even as production is increasing.

IP likes this.
  20. TennTradition

If the companies say there is nothing that would help us ramp production. Not dollars. Not the US Army Corps of Engineers building mew production facilities (wouldn’t happen fast enough). Nothing. Then, you’re right. I don’t know those are the answers. Perhaps you do.

I’m just hearing they don’t have supply to send us. I’m not hearing when we would expect more. What is the max rate they can supply. How much per day would JJ add if approved. All seems relevant to this discussion.